The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats keep eating the wood and paint on my barn! Can I use the horse ChewStop or hot sauce on it?

·
2,203 Posts
Sriracha sauce works great.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay thank you!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Do they have mineral out? I noticed my goats were eating the paint off boards and sheds and, when I started investigating, I discovered they were out of mineral. I replaced it and they stopped.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
GoatCrazy has the just of it. Get a good loose mineral salt (dont add more salt to it). Make sure its got good levels of things like copper and selenium. Do not use a sheep mix. Sheep cant have copper so you will be lacking in that. Dont use blocks. Goats need higher levels of most minerals and end up grinding their teeth down. Most vets can give you a prescription for a good mix that a locale mill can fill for you. Dont bother going to a pet vet, they dont have the slightest clue. As for the chewing, I have never found anything that will keep a goat from chewing on something if its determined to do so. About the only suggestion I have is to put something else out they they will enjoy chewing on more :) Cars and trucks are a favorite! Though not suggested :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have free choice minerals out by manna they are specifically for goats. Could it be possible that they are getting a "high" from it like horses?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I wouldnt think so. We too have a great loose mineral mix out all the time and the goats still chew on things. Mainly anything that is made from OSB as it flakes nicely and is easy to destroy :) If they have toys to jump and play on, you might try to change em up so they look different. Goats get board easy so every few weeks if you change up their toys, they seem to think its a whole new wonderful world and become distracted.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might try that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts