Goats eating Dog food ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jhooker, Jun 9, 2020.

1. jhooker

jhooker New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I have great Pyrenees in with my goats. The goats for some reason start eating the dog food sometimes , the goats have plenty of pasture, I keep a mineral block out and get feed twice a day. Any suggestions on stopping this?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    A lot of dog foods contain corn or oats or alfalfa or other grain types items that goats like. You won't be able to keep them out of it now that they have a taste for it. You'll have to make a space only the dog can access.

You mentioned mineral blocks in your post. Goats really need to have access to loose minerals in order to address their mineral needs. Blocks don't contain high enough concentrations and are difficult for the goats to consume enough quantity. Loose mineral is sand consistency and is offered in a pan/dish/container free choice (all they want at all times).

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Yes - feed your dogs separately and give a good loose mineral. You can run into trouble with them eating dog food.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Feed separate, if the goats are doing that, don't allow the goats to eat it.

I sold a doe years ago who did that.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have to add my 2 cents. Dog food (and cat food) has animal byproducts and is illegal to feed to ruminates. (Mad cow was caused by feeding cows diseased animal byproducts). Because all goats, even pets, are considered food, (I know, no one likes to think that their beloved goatie may end up at a bbq) it pays to be very cautious about what they eat and what medications are given.

Like what was posted, you'll need to feed the dogs away from where the goats can get the food. (Dogfood like chicken feed can cause acidosis and it is a painful death).

Good luck! Goats are pretty determined to get what they like!

6. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    It's almost impossible once they start. I spend lots of time finding creative ways to keep all the animals - goats, chickens, dogs & cats away from each other's food. I learned to restrict my dogs' eating time and not leave food out 24/7. The dogs get 3-4 hours in the evening to eat, then the food is put up. They get big milk bones and one soft treat each morning. My creep fed babies get locked out of the feeder most mid-days for 6 hours so the chickens can rush in and clean up the spilled feed and mess that baby goats make. The chickens are fed each evening, then locked in their pen until I let them out in the am. The only one who's feed get left out is the barn cat, Squishy, she has her food on top of a closed top drum in the feed room. I have one sneaky weanling who has managed to get into the chicken pen 3 times, snuffling up nasty chicken scratch and lay pellets from the ground and actually broke the laying boxes climbing in them. This little buckling has decided to be too smart for his own good, teaching himself all kinds of unhealthy tricks. He leaves next week for a new home because I am tired of trying to keep him alive and out of trouble. My horse is not allowed in the yard when the dogs are being fed because she will push the dogs aside to mouth their food which she just spits back out. It makes the dogs crazy...

ksalvagno and MadHouse like this.
  7. Becky Carlson

Becky Carlson Member

May 4, 2018
    Deadwood Oregon
    have been having trouble as well with one of my Doe's, eating my guardian dogs food. My Husband found lid to dog food container off this morning all goats had access to container, (8 hours).. watching goats closely is there anything else should be doing ?

8. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    My goats are no naughty! My rabbits dump some of their food over, and it ends up on the ground. The goats sifted through all that poop to find the rabbit food! And if I leave any chicken food where they can get to it they dive into it! Likewise, if I let out the chickens before the goats are finished , the chickens gobble up the goat food!

How harmful is this? I know chicken food is bad for them, and I've only forgotten to put it up a couple times -they got a few mouthful. The rabbit food is mostly alfalfa right? So it can't be that bad. They LOVE it. More than sweet feed.

The only reason they are even near the other grains is because I let them out and they go around with me as I feed all the animals.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Look at the ingredients.

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sometimes we have to come up with creative ways at feeding time - which can require more of your time, but it's worth it in the end. I always feed dogs separately, out of the goat area. What they don't eat is not left out. I don't store any other feed in my goat area. Some can be very determined to get what they shouldn't have. Always try to have CD antitoxin on hand and MOM, baking soda, etc.

11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    All the animals need their own food. .No cats allowed near any feed. They can cause a disease that can kill your goats. Dog food can cause mad cow like disease in goats. Please.keep food away from rodents and weather. My LGDs have their own pen they eat in. The goats have theirs. My horse is locked up to eat. No sharing.