Goats Eating Horses Tail...

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Tyler, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I'm the kind of person that loves to see a horse that has a tail that is long - long enough to drag the ground. Unfortunately, my horses tail is only as long as his tail bone... because my goats eat his tail. Is the a solution or something I could put on my horses tail to keep the goats from eating it?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know I have that problem sometime also. Yes you need to watch it carefully. I was at CSU Vet hospital and they had a wad of horse hair that they gout out of a lambs stomach. What they said to do and what I do is I have my horses tail in a tail sock. try to keep them from eating it, it will bind in the stomach.

3. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Coolness. Thank you! :)

Sooo glad I asked before something bad happened... :shocked:

4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    K. I just did a quick google search, and the only thing I came up with for horse tail socks, were socks made out of horse hair... where would you recommend buying a tail sock from?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  6. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Cool! Thank you! :)

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

We have a donkey that eats the horses tails. And yes a tail bag is the answer. I like the braided tailbag over the to tube type.
    http://www.raraequus.com/productcart/pc ... =21713When theire tails are braided unless you take them out daily then tend to knot up and are really hard to get undone. I still take my hosrse tail out every few days and re braid it after i finger comb it. But you can go a little longer without having to do so. The end also gives them a better fly swisher.
    this site also tells you how to make your own
    http://www.raraequus.com/articles/make_tail_bag.htm
    beth

9. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Cool! :) I'll look into making one. I priced out buying one, and with shipping it was over $30...

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yea they are a little pricey, i only paid fifteen for mine but i work at the store so im able to get them at cost. And lycra is a little expensive. But i love the fact that my horses tail comes out knot free and i can just finger comb it. The biggest thing about putting a tail in any sort of tail bag is to wash it first. I dont even brush my horses tail without washing and conditioning it first.
    beth

11. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I would be able to buy a tail bag at a local horse store, but the only store that carries that kind of stuff closed last fall... :worried:

Ok. I'll make sure to do that. It will be tough, though, to get in the habit, since I haven't had to do that in forever (since Oakey had practically no tail...).