goats >.< eevil goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Nov 11, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    What is it with goats?

Hrmmm, they never come in heat when I want them to... which is ideally when I'm home :roll:

I am told that Harmie is/maybe/probably/couldbe in heat... so my dad (isnt my dad a darling) driving her an hour to the buck in my absence...

kind of HOPING she's in heat so that his journey's worthwhile - I guess if she's not, it'll help bring her on!

Does goats-being-obese make them maybe not come in heat so much / at all ??

Cause Harmony and Demi are fat little butts the both of them. (Not my fault, I'm not home to monitor their food intake). I have instructed the guy who's minding them to cut out their grain for now on the hopes that they come in...

aaargh :shrug:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    being overweight definately can play a part in it!!

I have a Nubian that is severly overweight and she will not take for the life of me. If she doesn't take this time (will know on Thursday) she is outta here! Can't keep around non essential animals - have to many already!

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yes...weight can definitely play a role in it! Last year when we got Bella she was way over weight...we taped her at 220 lbs. She is a big girl, yes, but that was waaaay too fat! You couldn't feel her ribs or backbone without pushing hard. It took us from Aug. when she started cycling til Oct. before she actually took. And she was on the atkins diet the whole time...she gave us a single doe kid(better than a buck!). If she wouldn't have been so over weight she probably would have had more than one. This year...after being on a diet still(wasn't milked for very long so no grain and she did not get beet pulp...just hay pretty much all year) she took the very first time we put her in with the buck in Aug. Check her out in the kidding korral...she's huge already and she's got two months to go! I am betting at least twins if not trips or she's big enough...she could hide quads! lol

Allison, I wouldn't completely give up on your girl...especially if she is a really nice doe with a lot of potential. You are also right...you can't keep animals who don't reproduce...I guess it all just depends on what your herd goals are.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When I first met Trisha in October 2007 she was a skinny rail. She was bred to my Nigerian - didn't take. Then bred to a Boer - didn't take. Then when she was given to me in July, she was HUGE! This is the 3rd time with a buck in the last 2 months. She cycles every 3 weeks like clockwork - and OH SO noticeable!

I already have 2 wethers, 2 horses, 2 bucks that are to be leaving, a new buck coming in and a jr buck, and 2 rams that are taking extra feed! LOL!

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well both my does are pretty girls. They're both two years old - well, 20 months old - and are very lovely. Demi especially is a beautiful girl (Snubian) and Harmony is pretty too (Saanen).

I am putting them both into an AN buck this year, as the only Saanen bucks available in my area are related to Harmony.

So even if they dont take... it's their first year so hopefully I can give them a second chance :shrug:

I so hope they take *pleeeeeeeeeeeeease*

My dad is almost at the buck's place... I going to ring back in 20 mins to see how it went - IF she was in heat. . .

EEEEEEEEEEK :GAAH:

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Bella freshened in '06 as a FF two year old. Got mastitis really bad...so Nicole dried her up because she wasn't milking very well anymore. She didn't settle for '07 kids because she was too fat. Then when we got her....it was a battle all summer long to get her to lose weight..and a battle to get her bred. And even now she could still stand to lose a few lbs. lol! We had people asking us if she was a hermaphrodite(SP?) or a free martin...and we're like no...she's kidded before. Bella also had very noticable heats.

Allison has your doe ever kidded? Just curious.

Good luck with your does Katie! I hope they settle for you!! I love Demi.... :greengrin:

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    my dad is an absolute angel.

After being at the buck's place for half an hour, I rang him - and the general consensus was that she wasnt quite ready - would probably be a few hours and she'd come in properly.

SO I asked would it be ok to leave her there... and dad said he'd come back to pick her up tomorrow!

isnt he a nice dad :D

that's an hour's journey there and another hour back =]

at least hopefully Harmie will get a good chance at becoming pregnant.

And I think her kids would be really cute as Snubians - I mean, look at Demi :greengrin:

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    YAY!!! Your lucky your Dad will do that! I highly doubt mine would. I mean...he is suportive...he builds my pens and stuff..but I dont think he'd want drive a goat to her date! :ROFL:

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    here's a pic of the Harmie Bug :greengrin:

[​IMG]

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes, Trisha has freshened a couple times as a younger girl. If I remember right she had 2 sets of twins - but nothing for 2 years. She has great teats for milking and that is why I took her in the first place to try and get her bred - but it really just is not working if she doesn't get bred. She is a bit of a bully also.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    What a cute pic!! She is very pretty! :) You always have the cutest pics of your goats! Your place looks so awesome too.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you do have a wonderful dad..... :) .....he is one in a million and he sure loves you... :) :love:

She has to be at standing heat...to be bred .. it sounds ...as if you are guessing...
    you may need to leave her there ....until she comes into standing heat ....and then goes
    out of heat ...and not wanting the buck anymore......I think that is why ........you are having problems with getting them bred..... If you are unsure and your wonderful dad ...goes and gets her tomorrow she may not be serviced yet... and not ready or bred....your dear dad will have to go back and forth until the moment is right ..........unless you can arrange with the breeder to keep her there for a while...until she is serviced.:) :wink: good luck............ :hug:

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I will get him to ring the buck's owner before he goes :wink:

14. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    :scratch: Here is me picturing your Dad playing a giant game of ring toss with hoola hoops, trying to "ring" the goats owner.

:idea: Oh!! You mean he is going to call him on the telephone. My bad. :greengrin:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    lesserweevil...just a little note: :)
    Goats will generally have a heat cycle that lasts one or two days every 18 to 21 days. The heat cycle can be uneasiness, riding other animals, (tail wagging), bleating, vulva discharge ..........If you only have a couple of goaties it is harder to tell when they come in season though....especially having no bucks or wethers around.... :wink:
    After breeding, time from pregnancy until birth is ...approximately 145 to 155 days............... give or take. :)
    if she gets bred....and is pregnant..... she will not come in season 18 t 21 days later .If she doesn't take .....she then will come in again...

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    If you are having trouble picking their heats, or they have irregular heats, you might consider talking to your vet about synchronising them, so you will know exactly when they will come in season.

17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Yep dont worry guys, I DO know how to tell when a goat is in heat, how long their gestation is, etc. :greengrin: I've had 'em for almost 4 years now.

Ze problem being that I am away for work - about 3 hours from home - so cannot go home to see whether they're in heat, so I can simply tell their "symptoms" to my family and the guy who is helping look after them.

Which makes it thoroughly annoying.

Dad is waiting to go pick up Harmony now, but the woman wont answer her phone... if he doesnt go in the next 20 minutes he wont be able to go today as he has a meeting to go to for work. But that'll be the woman's fault for not answering the phone :sigh:

Oh well. . . I guess if she doesnt answer in 20 minutes Harmie Bug'll have to stay an extra day :greengrin:

18. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    daaamn >.<

I phoned the woman and she said she went out there first thing this morning and Harmony wasnt in heat anymore :angry:

She must've been coming to the END of her cycle when the guy who is minding them spotted her :|

I told him to check every day :cry:

Oh well at least I now have a date and hopefully I will be home in 3 weeks time to catch her coming around again :|

:GAAH:

Dad is going to pick her up and take her home tomorrow morning

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    there you go...... :) :thumbup:

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ