The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious question... I sold 3 goats (triplets, 2 boys, both banded, one with horns, the other was polled, and their sister) 2 years ago. Well, the lady I sold them too said all 3 took off with a herd of elk passing through their place, and only 2 came back a few months later, the one with horns did not. Is this common? I'm just curious. The sister will be coming back here as the other boy died from bloat last night... So sad I hesitate to bring her back, but I kind of wanted to have an offspring from that polled buck, and one of my top milkers here... So I agreed too... I'm just very curious if anyone had heard of goats going off with a herd of elk before?

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Goats are herd animals of their own species.

I can’t see them being calm enough, just to walk off with a different species.
Goats, when something new is present, they stare and May snort being unsure of it. So the story seems off.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know they have like 40 acres out in the middle of nowhere, but every time my crew sees something different they do the same thing, stare. When I brought sheep/calves in it was like wow, wait what Definitely comical to watch... So, I'm kind of sensing the same thing you all are, but sense I've never heard of it before I thought I'd ask... I do have a separate pen to put her in, also so my LGD can get used to her as well, and make sure she's good health wise and then let her meet her mom and Aunt and new friends...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah I’m not buying it either. I had a doe (deer) here for awhile and they never got over her. Sure they freak out over everything that is new for a little bit but that deer even the cats would see it and run for their life. Almost like she had a whole different smell to her or something. If I bring a calf in with them they will be nervous about it for a few days then except is as normal, that deer though was a whole different story.
Good plan on keeping apart. I would run the works on her, even though she may have only had your goats there before it seems fishy enough that I wonder if maybe she had sold them and then took them back. I do know one lady a few towns over got called out on lying about what she was doing with her goats she was buying. She said she just wanted pets for the kids and she actually was buying them for goat roping. Not that I’m against it, but just using that story as a example.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Let me give you an example I see alot. My goats are near derr. Not so much in where they eat, but they are close to them. Bonnie has been the only one to close to them and they seem to have no desire to co-mingle. I have never observed them even really communicating via grunts or stomps. Now, the deer seem petrified of Clyde. Even the bucks, they dont seem to want to mess with him at all and run from him at any point. It would be hard for me to believe they ran off with a pack of Elk. Not saying it cant happen but just in my personal observations, even though they are herd animals I do not think they herd up so to speak. lol.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Devils advocate- maybe the elk scared the trio away as they were passing through, the goats ran off and just stayed in the wild? Glad you are getting your girl back, anyway, sounds like a much better life for her.

I occasionally have young deer hop into the goats paddock, share the hay, and then jump back out. The goats don't seem to care if they share their food with the youngsters, but they haven't ever bothered to try and follow when the deep jump back out to leave.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I need to take pictures but she’s here... I let her out with the herd today, she looks to be in great health, and the lady gave me testing papers just taken 2 months ago... She said that something spooked the elk and probably spooked the goats as well.. Missy the goat looks very well taken care of, and she seemed to settle in with the rest of the herd... pics tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
once i was packing horses in the wilderness i had a calf elk mistake my horses for elk. the calf was running from a bear.
and ran through my pack string.
try to picture a calf squealing like an injured rabbit running through my horses. the horses that the calf ran in front of all turning around bucking packs flying saddles rolling dust every where. the horses that the calf ran behind were off to the races. I had horses all across the meadow.
that is when the bear entered the meadow screeched to a halt. Looked to his left then to the right, spun around and poof disappeared in the timber.
The ruckus was starting to calm down when there was a terrible sound like the timber was all falling and it was getting closer. a herd of elk crashed out of the timber at the far end of the meadow the calf ran to them they milled around for a bit the horses just stopped and watched them returned to the forest.
It took us an hour to get things put back together and get back on the trail.
That was a good day.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
once i was packing horses in the wilderness i had a calf elk mistake my horses for elk. the calf was running from a bear.
and ran through my pack string.
try to picture a calf squealing like an injured rabbit running through my horses. the horses that the calf ran in front of all turning around bucking packs flying saddles rolling dust every where. the horses that the calf ran behind were off to the races. I had horses all across the meadow.
that is when the bear entered the meadow screeched to a halt. Looked to his left then to the right, spun around and poof disappeared in the timber.
The ruckus was starting to calm down when there was a terrible sound like the timber was all falling and it was getting closer. a herd of elk crashed out of the timber at the far end of the meadow the calf ran to them they milled around for a bit the horses just stopped and watched them returned to the forest.
It took us an hour to get things put back together and get back on the trail.
That was a good day.
Lucky for the elk calf he chose the right protection. All worked out for the best then

1 - 17 of 17 Posts