GOATS GONE WILD

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KFOWLER, Nov 27, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Hi...haven't been on here in awhile...I was the one whose fainters all had babies within a few days of eachother...we ended up with seven babies but I'm sad to say they have all passed. The last two were almost two weeks old when they passed...I have no idea what happen other than the mothers just werent healthy enough to raise them. The babies would be fine one day and very weak the next...we would bring them in and try to bottle feed but it just didnt work. The last two were a little over two weeks old before they passed??!! I now have three 11 month old babies who have gotten sick...lost one this morning and the other two (sisters) are staying in a shed away from everybody else...and to top it all off one of the fainters that lost the babies is so weak she can't get up. I looked for bottle jaw but they are all getting so fuzzy for the winter that it's hard to tell. Should I go ahead and worm my whole herd for cocci??? I would take any suggestions. I am pretty sure the fainter that is so weak will be gone by morning...she has fixed eyes and convulses occassionally...I thought abou going ahead and just putting her down...I can't stand to see her like this. What type of cocci med is best and what is the dosage? We have no vets in this area who will claim to know anything about goats...just pisses me off!!! Sorry but it does. And one other thing...I have a big nubian and the rest of mine are smaller breeds...i saw the bigger one butt the crap out of one of the 11 month olds and the little one couldnt get up without assistance...once i got her up she was kinda walking sideways and then went in and laid down and hasn't been back out. My nubian has never been this aggressive...she has actually butted me twice in the last couple weeks...she has twins on her that are about 3 months old...if she doesn't straighten up should i put her in a pen by herself?? All my goats are either going crazy or dieing!!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How terrible for you to have lost so many! I am so sorry :hug:

You can't exactly "worm" for cocci....they are not a parasite but an organism that is controlled by a coccidistat like Deccox or treated by Sulfa drugs.

Cocci normally has a life cycle of 3 weeks and most infected kids and adults will show unthriftyness and diarrhea.

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    The 11 month old buck did have diarrhea. Not more than two days before he died though. Had tried to treat him with pepto...Wasn't losing weight. I noticed one of the girls has poo stuck on her tail. The other little female seemed fine until the big goat attacked her today and then she was wobbly...like she had been knocked out. She never went totally out but couldnt get up.
    Is Decoxx something i can get at supply store?? How much should i give to them?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IF they are infected, Sulmet or DiMethox would be a treatment to control the overloads, a vet check of a fecal would confirm wether or not they need treatment.
    Some brands of goat feed have a Coccidistat mixed in them, Blue Seal meat goat grower is one, as is Purina and Producers Pride sheep and goat DQ...The latter is available at Tractor Supply, only thing is with the medicated feeds, you cannot use the milk from your does. You also would need to feed each goat individually the correct ration to ensure each gets the appropriate dose of med.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    First off...I am so sorry for all the losses. It seems like a lot of people have been dealing with losses lately.

Diarhea is a good indicator that cocci could possibly be what's going on. I would get a strong cocci treatment and treat all your goats at the same time. Baycox has been the best treatment i've ever used, but it's expensive and hard to find. I haven't had much luck with DiMethox. I have Corrid?, but haven't used it much this year.

Also, what are you feeding them and how? In times when goats start getting thin and looking really crappy it is best to free choice a good quality hay and give some alfalfa daily. Instead of feeding morning/night just free choice it until they recover.

I would get some fecal samples and have your vet take a look. My vet charges $8 last I checked so it's well worth it to find out what you are dealing with.

Have they had BoSe lately? When was the last time they got it? Do they have free choice minerals? They might have a deficiency too.

6. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    They have free choice hay...free choice mineral block...and I grain them every day to every other day in the winter. In the summer they have mostly pasture graze. I will go look at my local supply store and see what I can get to treat for cocci. Kinda looks by the symptoms that's what it is. Can I use the cocci meds on pregnant does??

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Deccox can be used at the 3 month mark in pregnancy, Sulfas such as Sulmet or Albon, DiMethox can be used 3 weeks before delivery

8. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
  9. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Don't forget Vitamin B == it's cheap and easy and will help with polio -- please try that as well!

10. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Are you able to get a loose min. for goats? I too would look for some BoSe. It's presciption so if you can't get any from a vet on Sunday try calling someone you know has goats. Maybe someone in town could lend you some.
    Can you take temps and listen to lungs? Any snots or goop in the eyes?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    even a dog or cat vet can do a fecal - just ask them to check for worms and coccidia