The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 goats got maybe 10 pounds of grain a little over 24 hours ago. Three have clumpy poop (still some discernible pellet formation but all clumped and mashed together). One has poop that is like soft serve ice cream in texture, with no discernible formation.

They are still acting normal. They are eating grass and hay, leaves, etc. I gave them baking soda. I tried to find CD antitoxin but can’t. Will try the vet when they open tomorrow.

Any other suggestions of what I should do immediately would be greatly appreciated. How long until I should know if they will be okay?

Also, I could not figure out if I can give penicillin when the goats are nursing kids.
Please help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it has been 24 hours the Anti-Toxin is unnecessary. 2.5 lbs per head is a lot if they were unaccustomed to grain but not really a deadly amount. Just keep good hay and browse in front of them if you can.
I appreciate the response. They were used to having up to two cups per day. I am just giving hay and allowing them to browse the pasture for now. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
This reminds me of one of my bucks! He got out and ate 5 pounds of grain! He was horribly bloated and was lethargic (he would gag anytime he saw the grain for almost 2 weeks!!)
I was giving probiotics 4 x daily, plus drenching with water/ baking soda, b complex, and taking temp daily. We ended up taking him to the vet, and he was surprised that he was as alert and healthy as he was! So, he didn't give anything, except for a booster on CDT vaccine, and we were on our way for free!! Saint has fully recovered, and Is happily munching on grass at his new home!

If I were you, I wouldn't be worried at all. Just give probiotics maybe 2x daily for 5 days, and you should have happy, healthy goaties in no time!! It is nothing like poor saint went through!! ;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
This reminds me of one of my bucks! He got out and ate 5 pounds of grain! He was horribly bloated and was lethargic (he would gag anytime he saw the grain for almost 2 weeks!!)
I was giving probiotics 4 x daily, plus drenching with water/ baking soda, b complex, and taking temp daily. We ended up taking him to the vet, and he was surprised that he was as alert and healthy as he was! So, he didn't give anything, except for a booster on CDT vaccine, and we were on our way for free!! Saint has fully recovered, and Is happily munching on grass at his new home!

If I were you, I wouldn't be worried at all. Just give probiotics maybe 2x daily for 5 days, and you should have happy, healthy goaties in no time!! It is nothing like poor saint went through!! ;)
I never even thought about drenching with baking soda. :clever:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts