The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 goats that started with a cough and some discharge have started them on
garlic and apple sauce for 2 days. Seem ok maybe a little better. Has anyone tried LA 200 an antibiotic ?? They are drinking one had a small fever yesterday about 102 but are acting more normal today thanks

· Registered
Goat Mentor
7,704 Posts
102 isn’t a a fever. How much garlic?

I wouldn’t use LA200, I wouldn’t use any antibiotic yet. And surely a better one instead of LA.

First we need to go through a whole lot of questions.

What color is the discharge?

How old are they?

When does the cough happen? (further questions regarding this in more detail below)

Is it wet?

Does it sound like there is mucus?

Is there any raspy breathing or wheezing?

How often does the cough occur?

What is the duration of each cough? (multiple coughs at a time, just one short cough, one longer cough, a coughing fit, etc.)

Does it get worse when running, chewing cud, or eating?

Are there any dusty conditions, especially in hay or feed?

Is feed and hay free of mold?

What are your current/recent weather and pasture conditions? Wet pasture, warm and rainy, or cold and dry, cold and rainy, etc.

How long has it been going on for?

There’s a lot of possibilities. If there is raspy breathing, could be pneumonia. If the nasal discharge is clear, or if there is clear eye discharge as well, it may be as simple as an allergy.

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
102 isn't a a fever. How much garlic?

I wouldn't use LA200, I wouldn't use any antibiotic yet. And surely a better one instead of LA.

First we need to go through a whole lot of questions.

What color is the discharge?

How old are they?

When does the cough happen? (further questions regarding this in more detail below)

Is it wet?

Does it sound like there is mucus?

Is there any raspy breathing or wheezing?

How often does the cough occur?

What is the duration of each cough? (multiple coughs at a time, just one short cough, one longer cough, a coughing fit, etc.)

Does it get worse when running, chewing cud, or eating?

Are there any dusty conditions, especially in hay or feed?

Is feed and hay free of mold?

What are your current/recent weather and pasture conditions? Wet pasture, warm and rainy, or cold and dry, cold and rainy, etc.

How long has it been going on for?

There's a lot of possibilities. If there is raspy breathing, could be pneumonia. If the nasal discharge is clear, or if there is clear eye discharge as well, it may be as simple as an allergy.

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
garlic was 1/8 of teaspoon powder, was 104 sorry on temp,
Cough is worse when running. One cough at a time. one goat has asound like more mucus with cough. No moldy hay. all new Teff hay. Cough has been going on for 3 days. One goat is 3 years old. the other is 8 months old. 8 month old had it first.

· Registered
Goat Mentor
7,704 Posts
Apple sauce or Apple cider vinegar? Vitamin C would help too.
Probably apple sauce. I've spread my technique throughout the forum of giving garlic to goats in a spoonful of applesauce. Of course, the poster misunderstood that I only recommend fresh garlic.

· Registered
Goat Mentor
7,704 Posts

· Registered
Goat Mentor
7,704 Posts
I agree, hold off on the antibiotics.
Keep an eye on them though.

If any of them stop eating or act strange, get a temp, if high, start antibiotics.
No, Toth, there was a high temp, 104 and the OP accidentally said 102.

· Registered
Goat Mentor
7,704 Posts
Thanks for explaining that! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. I've also given my goats garlic in pickle juice! We make our own garlic and dill pickles with home grown cucumbers and when the pickles are eaten, I pour the juice into a cup and they drink it down!
Well hey if they like it then why not.

· Registered
364 Posts
I use la200 for anything upper respiratory. I find that it works very well and our vet doesn't like to prescribe anything without an office visit so it works for me. I give it for 4-5 days though, not the single dose like some recommend. Use caution when using it on pregnant does although I did use it on a pregnant doe last winter without any side effects.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.