The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Could be bottle jaw....here is a link to show you what it looks like
http://goat-link.com/content/view/15/111/#.UmKSWZRxte4

Barpole and liver fluke worms cause bottle jaw..you will need to use a wormer that addresses these two worms, only Valbazen 1 cc per 10# or Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub q kill both....3 times 10 days apart then once again in 30 days

CD Antitoxin to cut down on toxins the dead worms can produce

with bottle jaw there is usually anemina..you need to treat for this as well

red cell 6 cc per 100# double day one, reg dose daily for a week then once a week until better
B 12 shots daily or b complex PLUS daily
high protien feeds (unless he has the runs) alfalfa and green leaves to help rebuild red blood cells
mix 50/50 ACV with water and drench 20CC daily
keep the goat as stress free as you can..meaning dont chase to medicate or leave to be bullied by others..pen seperate if you can...
best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for this info. Best advice by far! Also how often should I worm my goats? Should there be a regular schedule?

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Worm as needed once you get this under control...regular fecals will help ..we do worm befrre breeding and Mom right after kidding..and we do worm new goats and those being sold because thr stressof these can weaken immune system and open door ways for worm over load..usually treating worms this way I rarely have a need to worm additionally..Best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really excited to have found this site. More helpful info than the vet here could provide. Not many people here know what to do with goats

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
We're glad youre here too!!! There is a lot of well informed folks here..since we live and breath goats many have gone through alot and have experiance to share!!

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
I have a goat limping and lays down a lot. Everything looks fine. Can't figure this out
any fever? ( 101.5-103.5 is normal range)
Any swelling of the knee, thigh or leg at all?
Hoof looks good..well trimmed?

Is the goat eating, drinking, pooping berries, chewing a cud, rumen noises, gasses and burps?
how does his/her lower inner eye lids look..you want to see deep pink to red..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts