The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m desperate for help , my goat who is 15 has some arthritis , he is losing condition and it’s like he can’t bear weight on hoof and instead is tucking it under and standing on his ankle joint, it’s horrible to see and no doubt painful for him ,tried b1 tabs and vet put him on steroids but no change any ides please.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Hi I'm desperate for help , my goat who is 15 has some arthritis , he is losing condition and it's like he can't bear weight on hoof and instead is tucking it under and standing on his ankle joint, it's horrible to see and no doubt painful for him ,tried b1 tabs and vet put him on steroids but no change any ides please.
Have you checked the hoof a d foot for injuries, a sharp thing poking him?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
It sounds like he's already seen a vet, so I assume he's been thoroughly checked out and there is nothing obviously wrong with the hoof or foot. My guess is mineral imbalance, but I'm afraid at 15 years old it may be a problem with absorption rather than availability. I noticed when my old wether got to about that age, he seemed unable to absorb or efficiently utilize the minerals I provided and he started having issues like pasterns dropping, losing huge patches of hair, flaky skin, parasites, unusual color changes, etc. I felt like it was a product of old age rather than anything I was doing wrong so I made him comfortable in his last days until he told us he was ready.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that this is the case with your goat. It's very hard to diagnose things online so having a vet involved seems like your best bet. However, I also want to be realistic about his age and the infirmities that often come with it. You can try splinting the foot to see if it helps him move around better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,528 Posts
I know there are certain minerals that deplete the amount of selenium in a goat. Just can't remember their names..
Levels of Sulfur and Arsenic can affect selenium.

I have bought some selenium and vit e pastebut he didn't like taste and just spits out each time , I didn't really want to force it into his mouth any ideas , thanks for replying
Is he getting any grain or alfalfa pellets? I like to mix gels into that. If he isn't, maybe mix it with some applesauce or crushed up alfalfa pellets and if you really think he needs it and he won't take it any other way, getting a helper to hold him and squirting it into his mouth would really be the best thing for him. He will forgive you.

Another thing I want to ask is do you have any Replamin or can you get Replamin instead? It has a lot more selenium in it than the selenium gel only, and many other minerals as well. If it truly is a mineral thing that would be the better way to go.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts