The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two dwarf nigerian wethers had their horns debudded before I bought them, when the vet came to band them and give their shots , she and I both noticed that both of them still had little nubs left, we decided to just leave them and let them grow even if they ended up crooked. Well my oldest little guy has one that has always been wiggly, anyway, today they were head butting each other and playing and Dustee's one wiggly horn came off, (about a couple of inches long), so the spot where it was had been bleeding...the bleeding has stopped , my question is this, what if anything should I put on it? Thanks all:confused:

·
Goat Mama
78 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Boer. His breeder intended to butcher him, so they did a hack job disbudding
him and he would get awful scurs. They'd grow an inch or two, fall off and leave him bleeding and sore.

For most goats, it's enough to just put on Bluekote or Furizone and leave them be. For our Boer, with as
painful as they became and as often as they grew back, we had our vet cauterized his horn stubs to
prevent any from coming back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goats horn

thanks for info did ur goats horn buds come back in loose and over and over again?

·
Goat Mama
78 Posts
thanks for info did ur goats horn buds come back in loose and over and over again?
Exactly that. They weren't well attached, so the scurs would wiggle like a loose
tooth. Some were stronger than others. Within weeks of healing from one, another
would start growing in.

He is normally a very affectionate goat, that always demands attention and petting,
but he'd quickly shy away if we tried to touch the scurs. It only got worse when they
did fall off, leaving him bleeding and irritable in his pain.

I wasn't happy that he had to go through the pain of having them cauterized, but it
was shot-lived(he was his bouncy self, by the next day) and extremely worth it.
It's been five months now, and there hasn't been a single recurrence of the scurs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts