The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can goats be in the pasture eating after frost? I am trying to determine when I need to pull them out and start the hay and pellets?

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they don't have both. I have a shed that I move from paddock to paddock with the tractor. I have been using movable electric net fencing. I built a paddock with pasture fence last weekend to get ready for winter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they get a goat block of minerals and seem to do well with it. The next week or so temps are to be upper 40s to upper 50s for highs and the coldest low upper 20s but most in the upper 30s.

·
2,203 Posts
How long can goats be in the pasture eating after frost? I am trying to determine when I need to pull them out and start the hay and pellets?

Thanks
Are you referring to the toxins in the grass that you hear about horses falling very ill?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It depends on the type of grass, what is in your pasture? Usually toxins dissipate after a week or so, but not always. If they were mine, and the grass was ok, I would toss out a protein tub or two and let them eat it as long as possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The grass is just native fescue mixed in with poison ivy, sumac, autumn olive bushes/trees and various other weeds.

·
2,203 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Because they're out there constantly, their systems adapt to changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts