Goats in the garage for a storm? Tips?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jonara, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    We have a tropical storm heading our way that could turn into a hurricane..but is expected to stay a tropical storm. Sustained winds 50mph gusts up to 70mph.

I have my 3 rescue goats in my little backyard with a crate sized shelter with a metal roof. It fits 3 goats comfortably..I've had 4 ride out super wet weather in it with some pretty strong wind..we did have some draining down the hill its on start to take over and go through part of it on one side. but now I don't know about it standing up to 70mph gusts.

So I'm thinking my best choice is to move out the car...pick my laundry up off the floor..bring the catfood into the house and put the goats into the garage. I suppose I can just bleach the whole garage floor from them peeing after the storm is over. I don't have straw and can't really afford it as I have to buy some hay right now and have been spending much of my own $ to help feed the caretakers goats when he can't (30 of them) (hay here is 35-40 bucks for 1/2 a bale) I'm thinking if I got the straw anyways I can't line the whole garage floor with it..they would pee other places anyways. I have a lot of 'goat blankets' I could pile up for them..but this is hawaii and the summer so it won't be really cold.

The storm is supposed to last Monday and tuesday. If it gets bad and I have to do this..any tips for keeping grown goats inside? Two will be okay..but one might freak a bit :eek: I'm hoping they can't jump up on the washer and dryer.

2. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    How are they with you? Pretty attached? If they get really squirrelly maybe you can ride out the storm with them.

They are likely to jump on things. It's what goats do and they like high places. So maybe if you put the goat blankets on top of the washer/dryer they don't damage that when they do jump up there.

3. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    They should be fine, make sure they have hay and water. Check on them often. Is the garage attached to the house so you don't have to go outside to check on them? Like AmyBoogie mentioned, cover the appliances with blankets because they very well might jump on them.

Once the storm is over, hose out the garage and you should be ok. Sprinkle baking soda on any wet spots to absorb any odor and let dry. It helps.

4. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Id say the garage idea is good cept it could turn out very bad. Goats have to get into and onto everything. I would put a cattle panel or two around em in the garage but not let them run lose. Oh and put a tarp down under em with the ends elevated and throw some straw down on top of that. Good to go.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A gree with TDG Farms...block off a spot for them so they dont totally distroy your garage..but keeping them in during the storm is a very good idea..:D

6. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    sorry I had so much to do couldn't answer till now. But thank you so much! I did get hubby to get a roll he had of some fencing and we set it up in the garage like a kennel..attached it to a bunch of heavy iron lawn chairs and a few other thigns for steadiness. got some wood shavings to put down to help soak up pee. I think the fencing will work..it's pretty high..just hopefully what I've got it attached to keeps it up. If not..I really don't have much in the garage at all because hubby has a shop on the property that he keeps everything in.

They are VERY attached to me. When I go outside at dusk to say goodnight..all three want in my lap. I'm thinking I will let them see a little bit of the beginning of the storm tomorrow so they will appreciate coming into the garage.

The fun starts hitting us in the morning! 69 mph winds and 10 to 15 inches of rain expected..:eek:

7. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    Good luck. I hope the storm passes you buy with little/no damage and all the goaties are safe.

8. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    good luck with the storm! I hope it passes you without incident!

9. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    i saw the news this morning that you are going to get slammed! i hope you have a high spot so the water drains. i'll be thinking of you!!

10. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    update

Thank you so much everyone for the kind thoughts and the advice! The storm really fizzled out thank goodness..but it was good to have the girls in the garage because it did rain all day long and they are trying to get over a cold they all caught from the caretakers goats on the property.

Just when we thought we weren't going to get anything more then the drippy rain...a thunderstorm rolled in at dusk and WHAM the rain came down intense and the lightning and thunder was so loud and scary..some of the worst and closest I've been in. We do get pretty close to them where I live up on Haleakala (volcano on Maui)..but this one seemed like it struck in our pasture and the transformer zapped and our neighbors saw the sparks from thier house by ours.

All was well though..no trees down (hardly any wind) and only with out power for a little over an hour.

Girls are back outside already dealing with the intense heat and humidity now. Blue skies...but possible thunderstorms again. Hopefully nothing like that because I've already put the kennel away and cleaned up all the shavings. Will just bring them in anyways if it gets like that though..no way will I make them sit out in that crazy lightning!

Attached Files:

11. AmyBoogie

AmyBoogie New Member

May 20, 2013
    Maine
    I'm glad you all did well and your goaties are cute!

12. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    Oh and I forgot to say that the girls did awesome in the garage! They were so quiet! They cried a little at first...but got used to it and seeing me come and go in the kitchen which is right off the garage..I left the door open so they could be part of the family and they just chilled. It was awesome! They got a bit scared with the lightning and thunder but so did we lol! We all hung out in there with them and they were fine with us talking to them.

They slept all night out there were so quiet..heard a yelp at 7:30 am so got up and let them out :)

13. jonara

jonara Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Maui, Hawaii
    Thank you :D

14. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Glad all went well:) I agree with Amy very cute goats:)

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad you didn't get hit with the worst of it. They certainly look no worse for the wear! :)