Goats in the news

Discussion in 'Goat of the Month' started by alwaystj9, Jun 24, 2020.

1. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Paternity testing question, I hope this is okay to post:

ODESSA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman has filed a lawsuit seeking either a paternity test on her goats or a refund — and she’s not kidding.

Kris Hedstrom filed the suit against her neighbor, Heather Dayner, last month seeking DNA for the goats she purchased. Hedstrom paid Dayner $900 for five Nigerian dwarf goats in December.

According to the lawsuit, Hedstrom believed the goats — Bella, Gigi, Rosie, Zelda and Margoat — could be registered with the American Dairy Goat Association, a group that records goat pedigrees. Registered goats have higher values than unregistered goats.

Dayner, who has been selling goats at Baxter Lane Farm for about 10 years, typically provides information to her clients so they can register their animals themselves.

She said the father goat was registered, but the Tampa Bay Times reports the American Dairy Goat Association rejected Hedstrom’s application to register the babies because Dayner is not an active member.

Proving paternity would require about 40 of the father goat’s hair follicles for a DNA test, so Hedstrom wrote Dayner a letter requesting the DNA in February.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kris-hedstrom-goat-paternity_n_5ef3b09ec5b615e5cd387a95

goodenuff and CountyLineAcres like this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I rarely ever see goats in the news!

I have so many questions. $900 is extremely cheap for 5 registered goats. Something seems fishy...

goodenuff and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    That whole story is fishy. ADGA Wouldnt reject a registration if someone isn't a member.

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Do you really think this will go to court? Wow. Goatees want to know! If Dad is registerable/ wouldnt they be 50%? Maybe thats the less cost? This is unusual.

5. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Very strange story! I had non adga members do paperwork with goats, they just payed an extra fee. Nigerians are a purebred breed. No percentages or crosses allowed with ADGA.

6. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    That's crazy.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Im assuming maybe they are Nigerian but I am still really confused by the situation
    * just reread that they are Nigerian

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  8. Goataddict

Goataddict Active Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    The whole thing smells fishy to me. Hope they resolve it.

9. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Sounds like she's upset she can't register because the prior owner won't provide proof for the father buck. She would rather the prior own pay to prove the father then her to have to pay to have the kids tested. Sounds like she wanted to pay for cheap unregistered goats and register them herself for less cost. I would like to personally assume the prior owner offered her all the information at an appropriate cost or has informed her outright that due to other reasons (possibly mixed does) they don't qualify to be registered, and she has simply decided she doesn't agree and wants cheap registered goats rather then paying full price.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I believe the breeder will win this case. Seems odd the whole thing.

Breeder tried to make things right and buyer is not being cooperative in any way. I believe they are greedy and trying to get the goats for nothing.

If I was the breeder, I would call the association and find out what is happening or if this person even tried to register them at all and were denied.

Cries foul.

Like someone said, you do not have to be a member to register goats.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I hope there is a follow up.

12. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    This is a good reminder as why to have a clear bill of sale. I have a person we sold a buck kid to with the agreement that he was not for breeding and to be wethered asap. A year later the buyer emailed me asking me to register the buck I sold them so they can register his offspring. Thats when I pulled out my saved bill of sale stating he was not to be bred (retained testicle) and now they have Po'd buyers of the kids.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California