The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was out working in front of the barn, and my kids saw a snake next to the backside of the barn on the rocks. I looked at it, just a little garter snake. Looked alive, but didn't move. Later my kids said it still hadn't moved.

It was dead.

A few minutes ago my daughter came in and said there is another dead snake I think in one of the goats paths through the grass.

What in the world? Could the goats be stepping on them and killing them?

We don't have any poison or anything set out for mice, so I don't think that is an issue.
What else could be happening to them?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Certainly the goats could be killing them. All they would have to do is step on them if they are smaller. It may not be intentional.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
My herd queen, Eunice, will snort when she she's anything that looks remotely like a snake. She stays away from it though. But the other night I killed a kingsnake (it had killed two innocent chicks :( ) and while it was still moving, she and the other goats walked up and sniffed at it - like they knew it was dead. I can't imagine them killing a large snake, but I wouldn't put it past them to kill a small one. Poor little garter snakes. :(

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I find this very bizarre that 2 snakes are dead. I will have my daughter show me the 2nd one tomorrow morning. They had a goat show today so I wasn't able to get out there.
I'm guessing they must have been stepped on.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Did you find bite marks on the snakes or did it look like they had been stomped on? My cats kill small to medium sized snakes when ever they dare to slither into the barns and can't get away. Do you have any cats or have you seen ferials around? You might have a cat looking to earn her keep! My cats don't eat them, they just kill them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have never seen it but was always told some goats intentionally kill snakes. Could of been a tall tale. I don't know! Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts