Goats know their name

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ChestnutGrove, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    It always suprises me when people are suprised that goats have their own names and come to their own name.

I love showing off that goats are smart and know their name by saying each goats name and that goat response back to their name to see how suprised people are and impressed they are.

Just a little rambling :)

Deidre

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    A few of mine know their names, and the rest MIGHT know their names and just ignore me. :greengrin:

I love how people are constantly amazed that goats are as smart, or smarter, than most dogs! They just can't believe their eyes when they see the goats run to the milk stand in the same order every time and stand politely.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what?! mine havent learned their names....hmm. :scratch: LOL. but they have learned to run at the stand cause they know theyll get treats! even if it does mean clipping hooves

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL......Isn't it something when you see the looks on their faces? It's even better when you have a little clown that will do tricks on command!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Goats are smarter than some people may think.....in the winter... when I send them to the barn at night....they know and automatically ....go to there own stalls....everything...if there stall doors are closed... they wait for me.. to open it ..and let them in.....there amazing... :greengrin:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Mostly, mine do, but when you're yelling at one to stop doing something (IE getting into the feed), they magically forget it! :ROFL:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: Isn't that the truth...LOL :ROFL:

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yes it is! :D :slapfloor: :ROFL:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup:

10. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    So true about them having "selective hearing" - though with mine - I yell their name to stop them - they hear me alright and I know they hear me as they look at me and quickly do it! I remember one time I saw the look on Janine's face when she spotted a flower on the other side of the hot wire (that is to keep the goats off the gardens or at least that is what the idea behind it is) - I knew she was going to try and see if she could get it - I said Janine NO! - well she looked at me real quick and then quickly grabbed and ran! Which was kinda funny because what was I going to do to her - it was not like I could put it back on the plant :ROFL: She knew she did wrong - keeping a sence of humor is a must sometimes!

Trick on command - I like that idea! What tricks do your goats like?

I have had them trained to drive in the past (currently do not - I should get going on Bobbi's wether Rudy who is for sale - I should get going on Will as he is a nice boy and his grandfather was a wonderful harness goat for me). Does opening gates count as a trick :ROFL: Have a couple horses and a pony that can do that.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A friend of mine taught her buck to "spin" on command...he's actually one of my Angel's boys, he will pivot on his rear legs in a circle while she feeds him...easier for her to get to his pan and after his trick he gets his "treat".

My little Heidi will dance in a circle on her hind legs for a cookie, I hold it up and she comes up and will "twirl" to get it.

12. Janne

Janne New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    My goats know their names. One of them even comes running when he hears me call it!

13. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    If they think good things are to come - they come running - if they think shots or deworming - they take their time lols. It is very useful and helpful when they come to their name for milking if I have any pushy does cutting line I can call the one I want and they come up for their turn knowing I mean them not those other pushy girls lols

14. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    3 of our goats jump over a jump. I have 2 trained to take money from a person and bring it back to me. I am teaching Tasha to walk on a board that is on two buckets Pani will say no and aruge in front of a audance. He also dose what I call dancen aka on hind legs and walks to be and then around in a circle. Teaching them to jump through a hoop right now. I am going to putting together a little show for my boss biz.

All our goat know there names I think. Well they all do but sometimes they seem to ignore you a lot. Now when it is feeding time you have there undived attection.

15. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    I love it! I want pictures and video when you get your "act" together!! Sounds like it is going to be great!

I know the goats LOVE playing on the dog agility equitment if they get a chance to get to it. I do enjoy watching them play on the teeter - I am thinking of setting up a cheap teeter just for the goats to play on since they are so much fun to watch!

16. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    They are smart. My Izzy is the tattle tale of the bunch. Whenever one of the goats is doing something she knows is wrong...like raiding the hay storage....she comes and calls for me...or when one is in trouble...head stuck in the fence....she lets me know. She's such a clown.

17. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Oh I want your Izzy!!! She would be very handy to have around! That is so funny! Give her a kiss for being a good goat :)