·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
That picture belongs on a puzzle or in a James Herriott book!
Aw, thanks! I actually was thinking about the James Herriott quote that cats are 'connoisseurs of comfort' when I took this photo.
Love all the pictures!! 🥰

Just know that I am very, very jealous that all of your cats get along and actually seem like each other!! We have three cats and they all hate each others' guts. Literally. No way I could ever get all three of them in one peaceful, beautiful picture like you did. We have to feed our cats in three different spots and baby one by putting her in a exercise pen (with a top) so the other cats can't chase her away and so she doesn't starve to death. Oh cats, why can't you all just get along. 🤦‍♀️ All of our cats are even fixed.

The picture of your kitties really does belong on a puzzle. 💕
Thank you! The barn cats we have right now are fairly peaceful. Cold weather helps a lot. They are warmer together. ;) but we have had some epic cat fights out there, too. Cats are pretty merciless about running off the 'outsiders', which is sad!
YES!! I couldn’t totally see that in one of his books! Or a puzzle too!
Thanks! A puzzle is a cool idea...I've done wall prints before, but never thought about getting puzzles done. That would be a fun gift idea for next Christmas!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 · (Edited)
My old phone (2015 model) finally bit the dust. So I ordered a new (refurbished 2018 model) phone. Playing with the camera, I think I'm going to like it even better than my old phone camera! Here are a few miscellaneous shots I liked. :)

My sister is traveling, so I get to share cow duty for a few days
Sky Plant Vertebrate Working animal Wood

I'm so proud of my girls! I still am getting an abundance of milk. I have never been a big fan of most store bought yogurt, but homemade yogurt with honey is really good!
Food Tableware Kitchen utensil Ingredient Coffee

Beautiful Belle
Dog Road surface Carnivore Asphalt Dog breed

Hello! We are hungry! Why are you taking pictures instead of feeding us?
Brown Working animal Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You always have the best pictures. The goats look very pleased with the storm’s offering. And that picture of the cats is amazing! You should frame that.

I lucked out as well with cats that get along. I only have two indoor cats, but they’re super attached to each other. Long story but a dog attacked one cat and the other cat immediately attacked the dog. It was crazy and made me realize how much my cats really do care about each other. (As a side note, I was the only one who came out bloody from that entire debacle).

That yogurt looks great. And it’s always nice to see Bella. And nice to get a little cow cameo in there too.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 · (Edited)
Beautiful as always!
Thank you!
Gorgeous pictures, gorgeous goats and cows, gorgeous lighting.
I love this thread.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the pictures.
You always have the best pictures. The goats look very pleased with the storm’s offering. And that picture of the cats is amazing! You should frame that.

I lucked out as well with cats that get along. I only have two indoor cats, but they’re super attached to each other. Long story but a dog attacked one cat and the other cat immediately attacked the dog. It was crazy and made me realize how much my cats really do care about each other. (As a side note, I was the only one who came out bloody from that entire debacle).

That yogurt looks great. And it’s always nice to see Bella. And nice to get a little cow cameo in there too.
Thank you! That's a funny story about the cats, and amazing that they would defend each other like that! We have two who are sisters, and they snuggle together a lot. It's so cute.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
I think Cleo may be my smartest goat.
She is the first one who has figured out how to use me as a shield when the others are picking on her. At first I thought it was coincidence, but I realized she will deliberately position herself between my legs or between me and a solid surface so the others can't push her around.
Today, I was working in the pen but hadn't yet broken the ice in the water bucket so everyone could get a drink. Cleo was feeling thirsty, so she hollered, stared me right in the eye, then cocked her head and looked at the water bucket. I got the message, and broke up the ice. She stuck her head between my legs and got a drink out of the bucket, where none of the other goats could push her away.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Sounds like she is "training" you🤣😂😁
Yep! She's probably out there right now. "OK, girls, let me tell you how this works..."
I'm not sure who's funnier, Cleo or Little Beaut. Little Beaut's mama is herd queen, so when the other goats get to running her around, Little Beaut just hollers until mama shows up to defend her.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I think Cleo may be my smartest goat.
She is the first one who has figured out how to use me as a shield when the others are picking on her. At first I thought it was coincidence, but I realized she will deliberately position herself between my legs or between me and a solid surface so the others can't push her around.
Today, I was working in the pen but hadn't yet broken the ice in the water bucket so everyone could get a drink. Cleo was feeling thirsty, so she hollered, stared me right in the eye, then cocked her head and looked at the water bucket. I got the message, and broke up the ice. She stuck her head between my legs and got a drink out of the bucket, where none of the other goats could push her away.
Smart cookie that Cleo! My doe May has me trained to hand her the water bucket up to the platform where she has her safe hay feeder. She points like a pointer dog.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Goats are so smart, they can train us to do their work for them!
Since Cleo and Alf were bottle babies, I knew they would be more dependent on me, but I integrated them with the rest of the herd at a young age so they would know how to 'goat'. Sunday and Linus were bottle fed too, but they are way more independent. I guess I don't mind being Cleo and Alf's problem solver. It is kinda cute.
Here's a photo of baby Cleo. As you can see, not much has changed between now and then, except her size.
Dog Leg Dog breed Carnivore Pet supply

Alf came to visit me in the barn kitchen this morning. I let him in, since I was planning to scrub the floor, anyway.
Phasianidae Galliformes Fawn Window Wood

Smile Goat Ear Working animal Fawn

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
Today, I go out and see that Huckleberry has a red hen standing on his back, instead of the usual speckled one.
"Poor Speck! She's been pushed aside."
Then Speck sees what's going on, and she hops up on Huckleberry's back, too. She extends her neck, probably to peck something stuck in his fur, but it looks like she's whispering into his ear.
"You're a real chick magnet, Huckleberry. "

321 - 340 of 383 Posts