The Goat Spot Forum banner
341 - 360 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
One of my does is like that. She has a huge appetite but the fat all melts off into the darn milk bucket and then she looks like a walking skeleton.
Same here! A couple of my girls get skinny during kidding/peak milking season, but they fatten up again in the fall. I always feel bad, because they look terrible, and I worry someone will think I don't take care of my goats. But I do. Really. They're just putting everything I give them into the milk bucket.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 ·
Yesterday, I cleaned the goat stall, and put down fresh sawdust and bedding. It looked so comfy I would have slept in it myself.
This morning, Sil and Pippi are both cuddled up in the bedding. Pippi is totally oblivious. She doesn't lift her head when I come into the barn. She doesn't wake up when I go to the stall door and speak to her. But she is breathing, so at least I don't have a dead goat on my hands...yet...
I go into the stall and squat down beside her and put my hand on her neck.
"Hey, Pippi! You doing all right?"
Pippi finally lifts her head. She looks around blearily, smacks her lips a few times, and lets out a groan.
Clearly, she is saying, "OK, but did you have to wake me up?"

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Shoddy picture of pretty Pippi. She was halfway set up, so I grabbed a shot.
Tree Plant Fawn Terrestrial animal Working animal

She was hopefully bred today. I put her in with Linus, and he definitely knew what to do. Her back end was not messy at all this evening, though, so either his aim is extremely good, or there is a mechanical problem somewhere. I guess I'll know in a few weeks. 🙃

Check out this card my niece gave me! She nailed the goat personalities.
Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal Painting Art

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
Wow, that’s a beautiful drawing your niece did!
I hope Pippi took today! She’s so pretty.
Thanks! I am optimistic that she was bred. But I always wait and see before I mark the due date on my calendar.
My niece is a really talented young artist. I love seeing the stuff she comes out with!
Beautiful, nice work. 👍
Thank you! I told my niece I'd hang the card on my bulletin board. It's one of my favorite cards ever.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Random recent photos. We've had a lot of sunshine and nice weather recently, and enjoyed it to the full. I even laid down in a pile of leaves in the pasture and enjoyed the sun for a little while. Then Sil wondered what I was doing and came over to investigate.

It's raining now, and we may get snow tomorrow, so I'm glad we've got some warmth in our bones to see us through!
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Natural landscape
Sky Cloud Tree Natural landscape Grass

Sil is eating for two, or three, or more!
People in nature Carnivore Plant Wood Natural landscape

Oh boy! A log for us to stand on!
Wood Branch Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial animal

Pippi has discovered that, if she's nice to Cleo, she can use her as a pillow.
Wood Window Terrestrial animal Fawn Dog breed

The sows have enjoyed the sunshine, too.
Tree Sky Fawn Terrestrial animal Carnivore
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Tree

341 - 360 of 383 Posts