The Goat Spot Forum banner
361 - 380 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
1,163 Posts
Your so good at taking pictures! I really do look forward to seeing you photos. I didn’t know you had pigs?! They’re really cute laying together!

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
Your so good at taking pictures! I really do look forward to seeing you photos. I didn’t know you had pigs?! They’re really cute laying together!
Aww, thanks! I'm so glad you enjoy the photos! The pigs belong to my sister, who lives on the same property as me and my parents. So I don't do much with them, unless she needs help castrating piglets or something. But those sows are HUGE, and super friendly, so I enjoy talking to them as I walk past.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
It always looks so beautiful at your place. Peaceful and gorgeous.
The goats are having such a great place to eat and explore, and the pigs look in heaven!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Alf naps in the ash heap. I don't know why ash heaps are attractive to goats. But we had one in a different pasture, and they all laid in that one, too. Their coats all turned a bit grayish. I figure the ash and charcoal soaks up sun on cold days, making that spot warmer, but yesterday was not cold.
View attachment 212794
I'm betting it has something to do with parasites. Both the ones that might already be on them and it's a place they can lay where there aren't any. I know mine will lay places where there aren't any chiggers like that in addition to whatever it might help otherwise.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
5,158 Posts
Those pigs are so pretty!
My younger sister really wants pigs someday. Do you know what breed your sister's pigs are?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Nice goats/pictures/forage field!
Thank you! I've enjoyed looking at photos of your goats, too!
It always looks so beautiful at your place. Peaceful and gorgeous.
The goats are having such a great place to eat and explore, and the pigs look in heaven!
I love it here! The goats are so eager to go out. Even though there isn't much to eat out in the pastures, they like the exercise and change of scenery.
I'm betting it has something to do with parasites. Both the ones that might already be on them and it's a place they can lay where there aren't any. I know mine will lay places where there aren't any chiggers like that in addition to whatever it might help otherwise.
Oh, that's a good thought! I bet you're right.
Those pigs are so pretty!
My younger sister really wants pigs someday. Do you know what breed your sister's pigs are?
These particular sows are like, Heinz 57 of pig breeds. I don't know what all is in there. My sister does have a purebred mangalitsa sow and boar, too. Their piglets are so cute. They are striped like little wild pigs. If I was going to pick a pig breed for myself, I think I'd look into Kune Kunes. They are smaller, and I have heard (don't know from experience) that they don't root as much and are less destructive to the soil.
Wow beautiful pics. :)
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,765 Posts
Beautiful drawing (card) from your neice. And your photos are Awesome. I laughed at the Goats with their own personal Back Scrathers!🤣😂(chickens)

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
1,052 Posts
Beautiful pictures! As much snow as we have hear, I can still enjoy the pretty snow there.

I had looked into Idaho Pasture pigs for the same reasons as you mentioned. I just can't quite bring myself to bring any other animals on.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Beautiful drawing (card) from your neice. And your photos are Awesome. I laughed at the Goats with their own personal Back Scrathers!🤣😂(chickens)
You know goats...always looking for new ways to scratch those itches!
Beautiful pictures! As much snow as we have hear, I can still enjoy the pretty snow there.

I had looked into Idaho Pasture pigs for the same reasons as you mentioned. I just can't quite bring myself to bring any other animals on.
I agree! Same here. We have snow all winter long, but yours still looks pretty to me.
I was excited about the snow, since it was the first real snow we've had so far this winter. I think it is so pretty when it's fresh. Glad you guys aren't sick of it yet!
@Rancho Draco I hadn't heard about Idaho Pasture Pigs before! Pigs are fascinating, but they can be so destructive and intimidating. My sister's boar is mean. He took a chunk out of her leg one time. I have a healthy respect for the pigs!
Beautiful pics. :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
Belle's audition photo for MFA feed store mascot.
Sky Cloud Dog Automotive tire Hood

I have quite a number of photos of my animals posing with MFA bags. If that store ever puts together a calendar, I could supply most of the photos. :D Pippi especially loves feed sacks. She enjoys the wonderful crinkling sound they make when she waves them in the air.

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
1,052 Posts
That picture is adorable! All of my animals are terrified of feed sacks lol

The IPPs are supposed to be very gentle pigs. They had caught my eye since they are supposed to grow to butcher weight as fast as commercial hogs but they don't get much bigger after that. And they have the upturned snout so they don't destroy the ground. The people that I've talked to that have them seem to really like them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
That picture is adorable! All of my animals are terrified of feed sacks lol

The IPPs are supposed to be very gentle pigs. They had caught my eye since they are supposed to grow to butcher weight as fast as commercial hogs but they don't get much bigger after that. And they have the upturned snout so they don't destroy the ground. The people that I've talked to that have them seem to really like them.
I'm checking those out if I ever get into the pig business!

361 - 380 of 383 Posts