Goats milk soap...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by magilacudy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    I have been curious for a few years now on attempting to make soap with fresh goats milk. I know absolutely nothing about how to do it or what I need. I would really like to get involved in this though. I have searched the web but am really getting no where. Can someone direct me, or if you have done it offer some of your expertise please. I would like to make natural soap, and I have just read about Lye, which I think I would like to avoid.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I dont believe there is any way at all to make the soap without lye- the lye causes the chemical reaction to saponify the oils and goat milk into a solid bar of soap

If you want you can PM me and I can give you the recipe I use- its pretty simple!

3. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    I just sent you a pm. Not sure I did it correctly because its still showing as being in my outbox. Let me know. Thanks

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    until she actually reads it the PM will stay in your outbox, once she reads it the message will move to your sent folder :)

5. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
  6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a super simple recipe on my website, I got it from a member here and it is the only one I use.

7. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
  8. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't want to hijack this thread but it seems the best place to put this: where do you soap makers buy your lye? i don't even know where to start looking. Do you buy it locally or order it online?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use what is labled as "100% sodium hydroxide" drain opener from TSC, NEVER had an issue using it yet.

10. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    thank you! I go to window shop at TSC like many women go to the mall, so i will have to check it out next time i am there, hehe!

11. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Sometimes you can find lye (sodium hydroxide) at your local grocery store too, just look by the drain cleaners, but it has to be 100% not a mixture.

And according to FDA rules, you can't call it 'soap' without it being made from lye.

Soaping is fun and you can make soap from just about anything too, just let your imagination run.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    And...since K-Ro is here...the credit is hers for that awesome soap recipe I referred to :greengrin: