Goats Minerals and Copper?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Garnet-the-goat, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Garnet-the-goat

Garnet-the-goat Member

Sep 2, 2020
    NY
    What will happen if they don't get copper and zinc? could they die?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    MellonFriend, if you give in the correct ratio, you are actually better off giving at the same time. Copper will inhibit the leftover zinc in the body and it can make the situation a lot worse. I’ve always supplemented with copper and zinc at the same time and it has never been a problem. Keep it at 3:1 zinc to copper. Since boluses are slow release, we usually achieve this just fine along with a zinc supplement.

And yes, they can die. Mostly from lack of copper it’s a very important mineral for them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    They won’t die on you now though, not unless extremely deficient - just noting so you don’t freak out!

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Thankyou for clarifying that. :)

Garnet-the-goat and MadHouse like this.
  5. Garnet-the-goat

Garnet-the-goat Member

Sep 2, 2020
    NY
    Okay thank you because I was freaking out. :)
    How long would it take for them to get so bad they die?

MadHouse likes this.
  6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to that question, but just so you can put your mind at ease even more, your goat's deficiencies are really not bad. My goats when I first had them were soo much worse than yours are and even mine weren't considered critical or anything. You'd have wild rough coats, your black goat would be entirely reddish brown and the tips of their tails could be completely bald.

Your goats are in no immediate or even semi immediate danger. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't supplement, but the state your goats are in, there is no way they are just going to suddenly drop dead.

And by how much you seem to be worried for their care, it sounds like you are doing your very best job giving it to them. ;)

7. Garnet-the-goat

Garnet-the-goat Member

Sep 2, 2020
    NY
    Thank you! :hug:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good advice there.(thumbup)
    But in many cases, it may not kill them. Just make them suffer a bit.

'Mineral deficiencies cause many issues.

Does, who cannot conceive.

Bucks who cannot get does preggo.

Kidding issues, super small kids, aborting issues.
    Holding onto placenta's to long.

Over all healthy appearance is gone, hair looks rough.

Have high parasite issues.
    Which that can kill them.
    Mineral deficiency such as copper, makes the worms etc stronger, so the goat cannot fight them off naturally.

Crooked leg issues, weak rear legs.
    Off looking tails and fishtails.

This is to name a few.

That is why minerals are so important for their overall health of a goat.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It can happen in many ways. Severely deficient goats will have bad parasite resistance. The worms kill, the mineral deficiencies indirectly do. Immune issues can happen from mineral deficiencies - which can kill a goat.

But mineral deficiencies themselves, a goat would be skin (and I say skin because there’d be no hair) and bones before they die. A long, long time... you don’t have to worry about that.

10. indigodesertmoon

indigodesertmoon New Member

I give my goats Copasure copper bolus I open them up and put them in a marshmallow, they gobble it right up. You can also give it on the milk stand in the grain ration while milking just open the capsule and sprinkle it on. For loose Mineral I use either Purina Goat Mineral or Sweetlix Meat maker, I don't use Manna Pro it's too low on copper. If you are on well water the iron and sulfur can bind the copper making your goats deficient so they will need copper, if they are deficient they can lose hair, change color as in a black goat turning red, have trouble getting or staying pregnant, your buck may not get the job done or they can be susceptible to parasite overload.