Goats new "daytime" pen

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by LuvmyGoaties, May 31, 2010.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    When I got my 2 goats almost a year ago I used 8 12' corral panels lined with no climb fencing. My intention was to be able to move the pen when they had eaten all of the sagebrush, weeds etc. inside it. Well, we moved the pen twice and it proved to be quite difficult to move - heavy, awkward and challenging because our land is not even close to being flat. Lately the goats have been busting out because all of the good stuff to eat is gone. We needed something easier to move.

I just got a 150' PermaNet. We set it up and the goats are loving it. I put them in it during the day but they go back into their old pen at night as the old pen is more predator proof and it is closer to the house. Here are some pics of the new pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very nice.

so is that electric netting?

3. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, it is electric netting. I really like it and when I have another $200 to spare I want to get another section but first I need to get a new fence charger. I had an old solor charger that would have had plenty of power for this fence but when wewent ot use it it was no longer working so for now we have the electric net set up near and wired to the horses electric fence. The horses fence has a plug in charger. I want a solor charger for the goats so that I can move it around.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow that is very nice!

5. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    that fence is interesting, I hadn't heard of it before...your ground looks pretty rocky with thin soil, how well do the posts stand up and how do they insert into the ground?

6. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Our soil is very sandy. The fence comes with either single stakes at the end of the posts or double stakes. We got the double stacks. I think the stakes are 6" long. They go in easily and stay up pretty well. So far tey have stayed up pretty well in the high winds we get. If they do fall over they are easy to put back up. If we are having one of our crazy wind storms I will not put the goats in this pen just in case the fence blows down. The company that I got it from suggests putting other support posts on corners if the fence will stay in one place for more than 6 weeks. We have not done that yet.

Jen

7. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    That is really cool fencing! Mind if I ask what that section cost you? Looks like it would be perfect for my place.

Oh, and can I ask where you bought it? Maybe a company name so I can look it up on the net.

9. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I got it from Premier 1. They have it in different lengths and the option of single or double spikes. Also, they have the regular net and then they have the pos/neg net. The pos/neg net alternates hot and ground on the horizontal strands. If you are in a dry area then you want the pos/neg fence (we are in the desert). The net I got was the most expensive as I got the longest length that they had (150'), double spikes and the pos/neg. It cost me $208 and shipping was free - if you don't need the pos/neg then it is quite a bit cheaper ($188 for double stake). It was so easy to set up - it took my husband and I about 1/2 an hours to set up. I already had a charger but if you don;t you will need to egt a good one and that will probably cost you another $200 or so. Here is the link to the pricing:http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=20226&cat_id=53

10. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Did you have to train them to respect it. I have thought about getting some myself but my goats all seem to like to use the fence as a back scratcher.

11. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    The first time I put them in it I hung around in my barn where I could see them for about an hour. I know they got zapped a couple times and after that they figured it out. Yesterday I went to move them back to their night pen and Annie went to scratch (you know - the sideways lean and rub) on the net and she moved away from it quickly flicking her tail. My two are escape artists but they have not gotten out of the electric net yet.

Premeir 1 does warn that there is a slight chance of the goats getting entangled. They suggest to minimize the risk to never use it for weaning and to not have animals on both sides of it.

Jen

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks for the info! I will check it out. Can I use a regular solar fence charger? I have two and only need one for the horse fence.

13. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Most likely yes, as long as it is powerful enough. While the net is relatively short it has multiple wires so you need a more powerful charger.

Jen