The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have put three of my does on a graining program for weight gain. My 9 months old Boer gets 1 lb of Purina Noble Goat (REALLY hoping to switch soon) 1/2 lb of Animax and 1.5 cups of COB. She will leave behind 1.5-2 cups total of grain.
Both my Nigerian Does get 2 cups of Noble Goat, 1-1.5 cups of Animax, and a handful of COB. One of them leaves behind about 1 cup, and the other probably closer to 2 cups.

I am guessing they just don't like it? They love the COB and the and the Animax, so I am thinking they don't like the Noble Goat.. In fact 2/3 won't eat the Noble Goat. I just wanted to make sure they didn't like it or if there is something wrong? They are all healthy, active, acting normal, etc. I am just overly protective about my goaties :eek:

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Some of mine, didn't like it at first either, so, I put a little in with their other feed they love and add a little more, gradually after a few days, until I get where I want them to be..
But, if you are wanting to switch grains, I would do the switch now and just put a little Nobel in with what you want to give them instead with the other grains they love, to get them started.
Start out gradually. Cob doesn't do much for goats, but it does help get the goats started with other feeds, it is goat candy to them, they love cob,
but there isn't much in it for the goats health. ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of mine, didn't like it at first either, so, I put a little in with their other feed they love and add a little more, gradually after a few days, until I get where I want them to be..
But, if you are wanting to switch grains, I would do the switch now and just put a little Nobel in with what you want to give them instead with the other grains they love, to get them started.
Start out gradually. Cob doesn't do much for goats, but it does help get the goats started with other feeds, it is goat candy to them, they love cob,
I still need to find a good grain that is local.. Which I am finding is very tricky!
I know cob has almost no nutrition, but I have to add it for then to eat the Noble Goat.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh no Cob isnt nutritionally good for them!
Is textured sweet feed any better? (they eat that fine and it is def not pellets)....

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya. ;)

Do you have a tractor supply anywhere? They have grain choices.
No :( We have a Ranch and Home, and a couple small feed stores that carry all CHS Payback and or Purina goat products.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jill helped me figure out a mix that the goats should like and is much healthier.

2 Parts Oats
2 parts barely
1-1.5 parts calf manna

They will get free choice alfalfa and a bit of safflower oil if they need a little extra boost in weight gain...
Now Pam, as a Boer breeder, should this mix get the boers into showable condition? I am sure it'll be fine for the milkers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts