Goats not eating minerals

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TNP, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Have you ever had goats who refuse minerals? My 2 Pygmy kids won't touch the stuff. I started with a block, but they didn't use it, so I switched to a loose mineral made for goats. They haven't eaten any of it. I'm pretty sure they could use it, because their coats are not nice and shiny. They seem to be doing fine, except the dull coats.

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I've noticed that mine won't eat certain brands... my herd loves the Sweetlix blocks though.

3. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Is there a block that is good for horses and goats - mine will be in with my horse when he gets delivered on 11/21. YEAH!!!!!

(they will be separate for the introduction period of course. :) )

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Mine will only eat theirs fresh.....I keep a little out at all times and then I try to make sure everyday to pour a little into a dishes (butter tub) and offer it like treats......they will knock each other out of the way to get to them..... I hold the dishes so they think it is something yummy........I know, I know how spoiled are they.....but it works :greengrin: ! I also only have 4, not a whole herd.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Mine only like "fresh" minerals too. I only put out about a week's worth at a time because after that they want nothing to do with it. There is some trial and error to finding which minerals your goats will eat consistently. Mine prefer a finer, sandy-like texture to their minerals rather than the coarse, chunky ones. The blocks--just forget about it...mine use them as play things and once they get their poopie little hooves on it there's no way they'll eat it.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I clean out their mineral dish and give them new minerals every day. I only give them a tablespoon full or so. I have 2 goats right now so I will have to figure out how much I will have to put in when my other goats come home. They eat anything from none of it to all of it. It is different every day.

7. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Mine won't eat it fresh or any other way. I've even tried adding some to their food at night, and they just pick their food out and leave the minerals. I'm using the brand that Tractor Supply carries. It's the only loose mineral for goats that I've been able to find around here. The co-op only has the blocks, and the only loose minerals the other feed store carries isn't made for goats. I guess I'll have to order different brands online until I find one they like. These 2 little doelings are so picky!

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You can use minerals made for free-range cattle with goats too--that is what I usually use because there are only a couple types of goat minerals available in my area and the goats do not like either one of them. Just try to find one that has at least 1,200 ppm of copper in it.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also buy loose salt and minerals for cattle... my goats like it.....for the 1 that doesn't like it ....put some in there mouth ....once a day....that way.... they may get a taste for it ....sometimes it works.... :greengrin:

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Mine like Hoeggers Golden Blend minerals really well and they ship their minerals for free :thumb: !

11. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Golden Blend is what I wanted, but I wanted to start them on something right away, so I bought the Purina from Tractor Supply and was going to get Golden Blend next time. Should have waited on the Golden Blend instead.

12. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I have the same problem. My goats wont touch the loose mineral. So I had to mix the loose mineral with yeast and kelp. And They eat it up like crazy. If I put straight loose mineral and they wont touch it.. They are so picky!!

13. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    yeah my Boer goats eat a little now and then but usually avoid it, this isn't a bad thing though 'cause it usually means that they have an adequate amount of nutrients in their daily diet.