The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
So none of my goats have gone into heat since I treated them with Valbazen dewormer. I treated them with it right around the time they went into heat last year (September). A doe and a doeling had already gone into heat at that point, but no one else had and no one else has since. We have several other doelings we are hoping to breed this year. Two of our other ladies are still giving a decent amount of mil. I milk them twice a day. Do you think that cutting back to once a day or drying them off will increase the likely hood of them going into heat? Or should we try to milk through?? I feel pretty confused and would love some information and clarity.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Depending on where you are, climate can also affect breeding cycles.

Even with my Nigerian does, which will breed year round they start showing strong heats the end of July and are in milk at that time. I have 2 who don't really go into strong heat until I start once a day milking and I dry off once they are a month into pregnancy.

Do you have a buck housed where they can see and smell him?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We keep our buck separate from the does when someone gets back from herding them. Everytime in the past our does have gone into heat, we'll know about it almost immediately since a human herds them at day, and at night they are locked-up. Our house is situated 15 yards from there pen, so we know whenever he starts to get excited in there (and the does all lovey-dovey). I really don't believe they've been sneaking the breeding pass us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone believe dropping them to milking once a day could help them go into heat? A week ago we let one of them dry-off since we weren't getting much milk from her anyway, though she hasn't gone into heat yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.