The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! We are bringing our first goats home soon, a Nigerian Dwarf and her one month old twins (buck and doe). We have a great barn we are outfitting for them, though fencing is sporadic throughout our 40 acres and leaves something to be desired. The woman who is selling them to us has recommended hog panels (the soldered or welded grate type things, is hog panel the proper name?). Where is a good place to get these inexpensively? We have a lot of pasture with barb wire for the horses, is there some way to amend the existing posts with additional materials? Is it possible to put goats out on leashes safely, like if they each wore a harness?

We are also possibly bringing home a couple Dorper sheep from the same farm for serious grazing grass maintenance. Are they anywhere near as intent on exploration/ escape as the goats? Can sheep graze on leashes?:think:

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
Cattle panels are going to be prohibitly expensive for that large of an area. I would go with 4 foot no climb with 2 x 4 inch squares for the areas where the young babies will be and redline field fencing for the rest. Putting a strand of hot wire top and middle will ensure that they don't loosen the fence climbing and leaning on it. My smaller standard size kids can get through a cattle panel and even a multi panel. I'm sure that Nigerians can get through them for a while.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I agree with goathiker on the cost of hog, cattle, or combination panels. Cattle or combination panels make good temporary pens but, if you have standard sized goats, they will destroy panels in a relatively short time - especially if you add bucks to the mix. Regardless of what you choose for fencing, it's going to cost. Fencing is the most expensive initial outlay for any type of animal. I would also recommend you go with at least 5' high, and 6' is better. Reason for that is because most goats can easily jump a 4' fence - especially when they are younger. Personally, I would never even consider tying an animal out unless I was right there to keep an eye on them. If a stray dog should happen to wander in, they would be sitting ducks. They can also easily get themselves tangled up, hang themselves, and/or hurt themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts