The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. This is my first experience owning goats. I've had my Pygmy/Dwarf crosses since March of this year at 9wks. I always used to put them in their barn at night, but in the summer months I started leaving the door open to the penned in yard. Helped me from the excessive cleaning morning routine. We live in the city limits and have high fences around our property, so predators are unlikely and I do have a LGD.
My question is, now that we are in the winter months (I live in N. Central Texas) the weather is getting into the 30s at night. Is it normal that they are all still preferring the outdoors? I would think if they were uncomfortable they'd go inside. My youngest goat I got in July at 9wks and she's still quite small. Should I put them to bed or let them do their thing?
Thank you for reading, any and all feedback is appreciated.

*editted a sentence

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Suzanne. I put them up last night in their stalls, I was worried because it was getting down to 22. Next time I'll just give them the option of shelter or stargazing in the cold. Silly goats.

·
Administrator
85,654 Posts
It is up to you and the health of your goats.
If any are skinny or do not have good winter coats on, I would rather keep them in. Or if the wind chill is really cold and blowing too hard, I would also put them in.

For me personally, I put mine in, in the winter only.
I rather they not burn off body weight to stay warm outside. Inside they are warmer and away from the winter chill. And I don't worry about them getting sick from being out there.

My goats will stay out there, if i let them, but I make them go in. I noticed on really cold days with the wind, they are really happy to go in at night.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there, LittleGreenBarn, I live in Flower Mound, Tx. and raise pygmys. I put mine up at night and under heat lamps in the winter. I have tubs with shavings under the light and they love them! Spoiled-lol
That is so wonderful! Spoiled to the core! Your little ones are living the life of luxury. I'm in Colleyville, so we're definitely getting the same weather.

I moved my dogloo out in the pen last night. Turned into a coveted spot. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a few more......good to have options, right? Barn or igloo? I'm gonna have to use discretion if we get some gross weather. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Mine can stay outside or go in, whatever they desire. I live in Maine and the temp gets way below 0 sometimes. Most breeds of goats deal with the cold much better than they do the heat. Locking them inside a barn can open them up to pneumonia because it tends to get damp and ammonia-y.

Reactions: LittleGreenBarn

·
Registered
286 Posts
Personally, I lock mine in the barn at night because I'm paranoid about stray dogs and neighborhood hooligans. It also rains a ton where I live and the ground is pretty much constantly wet. I have one goat who isn't exactly the smartest (I have found him wet in the morning because he slept in a puddle) so I want to keep him safe, even if he's a little dumb ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our goats have access to a barn but most of our goats prefer the open air to the barn unless it is raining heavily and/or the wind is howling...some prefer the woodland despite having a big metal building of a barn. Goats love choices.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally, I lock mine in the barn at night because I'm paranoid about stray dogs and neighborhood hooligans. It also rains a ton where I live and the ground is pretty much constantly wet. I have one goat who isn't exactly the smartest (I have found him wet in the morning because he slept in a puddle) so I want to keep him safe, even if he's a little dumb ;)
I have a goofball in my little herd too.

·
Administrator
85,654 Posts
Yeah, if I allow mine to decide, the bad part is, I have actually watched the dominant does block the 2 door ways to keep out a few goats. So I rather put them in then having a few kept out in the bad weather and with the possibility of them getting sick.

Goats can be so mean to each other. :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, but goats have survived for thousands of years in arid desert environments to arctic-type climates. I've never had a goat to freeze to death. LOL!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts