Goats & Salt

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Grnida, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Grnida

Grnida New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    My husband and I noticed my 9 goats chewing on the tin roof of one of the goat boxes I house for my goats. So today I bought a goat salt block for them and they're gnawing down on it like it's candy. Should I be concerned they'll get too much, or will they stop once they get enough?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you not have a good loose goat mineral out for them?

3. All goats need minerals,when they have had enough they will only lick when they need it,teejae

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    As soon as it's gone it needs to be replaced with loose minerals for goats, Not sheep & goat minerals.

5. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    We had a rescue cat who licked metal. It turned out he was anemic. Do you know how to check their eyelids for anemia?

6. Grnida

Grnida New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I do not know how to check for anemia, no. This block is strictly for goats, not goats and sheep. I made sure of it as I do know they make one for both and I don't have sheep. I do also have granual, but my husband didn't think they were getting enough, so we bought a block instead. I noticed, after I made the post, that they did stop licking on it so much.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The problem with the blocks is that they can't lick enough to get proper amount of minerals. The other problem is that it is full of molasses which is candy for them. Get a cobalt block which is the blue salt block and offer the loose minerals.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Roll down the eyelid to check for anemia. The color of the inner lower eyelid should be deep pink to red. Lighter and they're anemic. If you google FAMACHA a scoring chart and detailed instructions will come up.

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I check by placing my thumb on the eye brown bone and gently sliding the lid over the eye ball with gentle pressure while rolling the lower lid out...you want that inner thick membrane to pop out...do this in natural sun light and be quick as the longer its exposed the brighter it becomes giving a false read..you want to see a deep pink to red color..you can down load a famacha card to hold up against the lid..often the picture on there shows the wrong way to expose the lid..but the color chart is good.