Goats/sheep v. pregnancy... health risks

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Yes, definitely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's fine

16.7%
  3. I have no idea

83.3%
  1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok so... I was having a conversation today with my family - my sister and sister-in-law agree with me, that it's not safe to be around goats and sheep (and cats, incidentally) while you're pregnant, due to risk of contracting toxoplasmosis, etc.

My mother disagrees and says it's a load of whatsit.

So... I was wondering if you all could tell me what you think - either way.

Thanks
    LW

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I personally think it is fine to be around goats, sheep, cats, etc. The one thing you really want to avoid during pregnancy is cleaning the cats litter box or you need to wear a mask so you are not inhaling it while cleaning it. I still clean my own barn, litter box, etc and am expecting #3 now. You just have to use common sense and not be breathing in a bunch of bad stuff you wouldn't normally want to breath in anyways. Like when it is really dry and dusty I wear a mask when cleaning the barn, if it is damp and not dusty I don't worry about it as I am not breathing in that much of it.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree with K-Ro on this issue. There's no reason to completely avoid animals during pregnancy...you just have to be more conscious of how you do things...

I think cleaning litter boxes and small animal cages are the worst culprit for toxoplasmosis...so I would try to find some one else to do those things...but regular contact (feeding, watering, milking, etc.) with your animals should not be a problem...just be vigilant about handwashing.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think it's bad to be around them. I would just be cautious of what you do around them, like cleaning manure, shearing, just anything that could create a lot of dust and fumes up to where you can breathe it in etc.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I 4th that there is no issue with continuing your daily routine while pregnant as long as you are cautious. One thing I would suggest though is if you have a "head butter" to let someone else deal with that one!!