The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I recently moved to a farm, and bought two female goats. One about nine mounths old and one a year and nine mounths. The barn they lived in had half sectioned off and turned into a coop for six chickens. Tuesday night something (racoon or weasel) got in and killed all the chickens. Now the goats won't sleep in the barn. At furst they wouldn't go in at all, but we got them to at least go in during the day. They have never slept outside before, and we live in MI so it will get cold. Are they scared? Or just being goats? What do we do?

· Registered
170 Posts
I'd say they are traumatized by whatever happened to the chickens. Getting them to go in during the day is a good step. Make sure to provide really pleasant actitives is the barn like getting raisin treats. Hopefully more experienced folks will have ideas to expedite the process since I imagine it's already cold up there.

8,972 Posts
My goats were traumatized after I had a goat hang herself. We just kept reassuring them, feeding them inside, giving them treats, etc. ( Don't feed them outside- not even hay and don't lock them in).

Eventually, my goats got over the event and no longer were afraid to come in.

The chickens probably raised a huge ruckus as the darn ***** killed them. And ***** make a racket too. Are you trapping and killing the *****?
They may be coming back at night scaring the goats, too!

· Banned
5,939 Posts
My family and I recently moved to a farm, and bought two female goats. One about nine mounths old and one a year and nine mounths. The barn they lived in had half sectioned off and turned into a coop for six chickens. Tuesday night something (racoon or weasel) got in and killed all the chickens. Now the goats won't sleep in the barn. At furst they wouldn't go in at all, but we got them to at least go in during the day. They have never slept outside before, and we live in MI so it will get cold. Are they scared? Or just being goats? What do we do?
Are you sure that whatever killed the chickens isn't coming back to the barn at night?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.