The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my goats for about four months now so this is my first winter with them. we live in Michigan and it is very cold her this time of year. Yesterday the real feel temperature sustained below zero for almost 24 hours with a low of 0 last last night.
My 3 goats will not go inside anymore !
We had very warm weather for Michigan through November and mid December. When I would be warm night in the 40s is when they started sleeping outside, after they got there winter coats. I have two options for them to sleep a 3x5 dog house and 6x6 insulated pallet house. They have no interest. They are 100% happy and healthy but I am just wondering if anybody else has seen this before. This morning they had ice on the fur, which worries me a bit but they could care less.

This is where they have been sleeping every night or on a large log pile behind my barn

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Silly goats, sleeping outside in that cold weather!
My goats will sleep outside but not when it’s that cold. Let me ask some questions...
Is the shelter draft free?
Have you gotten down to their level in the shelter to see if there’s a strong ammonia smell? Or any odor that could upset their respiratory system?
How do you have it bedded? Straw, shavings etc.
Drafts, odors and bedding are the big three problems with shelters basically. I’d worry too if they have ice forming on them.
Have you put hay and water in there to eat and drink so they get used to being inside?
You might just have to close them in if the weathers life threatening.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I agree about checking the shelters and feeding the goats inside to make sure they know they can go in. Sometimes they will be scared of a shelter and not want to use it. Have they ever used their shelters?
If you know they are comfortable about using their shelters, then I would not worry about them sleeping outside. If they act normal, not shivering, then they are probably fine.
If it's dry and cold, they handle that better than being wet and cold.

·
8,665 Posts
Do raccoons, cats or opossums get in the shelter at night? (or rats?) We had that problem one year with run in shelters and the bucks.
They were terrified of a feral cat, then a raccoon. I put a night light in the shelter after we eliminated the critters. No problem since.
(now yearlings use that area).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts