The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was giving my Nigerian does their meds and wormer rounds this morning and I noticed something unusual. The first doe I did is normally very picky about what she eats.

The bottle said to give them an ounce of the stuff, but when I squirted about half into her mouth she started to groan and yawn while moving her jaw back and forth like she was in pain.

She did this for about five minutes until I put her back with the others.
I tried it on another (less picky) doe and she did the same thing until she saw the grain. Is this normal goat behavior? Are they trying to spit it up like cud?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Too much calcium can be dangerous, it is not a routine supplement - it should only be used as a treatment, not a preventative. Nutrition is what you do to prevent it.

What other meds are you giving?

Curious if any are caustic, causing burning of the throat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, good to know.
I forgot to mention that their knees also make snapping noises when they walk, and a friend of ours told us that you should give them calcium for that.
I give them Ivermectin, Red Cell, and Copper pills.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Not calcium, boron.

Wow, okay, how often do you give ivermectin, red cell, and copper?

Ivermectin should only be used if there’s a parasite problem. Red cell should only be used if they are severely anemic, and copper should be given no sooner than every 3 months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, Thanks! When can I get some boron from?
I check their eyelids to determine if they need the wormer or not. The does were getting pinkish so I thought it wouldn’t hurt to give her some.
They eat alfalfa and they have a salt/mineral block in their pen, would just that be enough calcium for them?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Pinkish? Pink-ish is normal. Light pink or white is bad. How often do you give the ivermectin, would you say?

How about the red cell? When did you begin giving this and why?

Will get you info on boron shortly.

Will also talk about the diet shortly.

Focusing on your supplements now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We gave them the Red Cell halfway through pregnancy and after they gave birth, every two three months or so, or if they are looking especially anemic.

We usually deworm them every four months, or if their eyelids look light.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Are they anemic right now? They should only, ONLY, receive it if they are anemic. Not every three months, not halfway through pregnancy, got it?

Don’t deworm every four months, routine deworming causes resistances. They are probably already resistant to ivermectin. If their eyelids look light, get a fecal test to determine the load. You can not rely solely on FAMACHA. Understood?

As for their diet, they need a loose mineral, not just the block. Sweetlix Meat Maker 16:8 is a good one that you can purchase on Jeffers pet supply. Just make sure it’s not the medicated one.

Alfalfa is usually enough calcium, no worries there.

NOW, what is their current FAMACHA scoring? Photos, please!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
I would get a fecal. If you have used ivermectin often, it may not be working.

Don’t judge gums, only lids.

They are a bit light - don’t overdo red cell though, get a fecal test.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright. Does switching dewormers work? I switch between Ivermectin and Fenbendazole, but only those two.

Do you think she might have accidentally inhaled some, which might have caused that whole scene?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
No, switching dewormers is worse - additionally, fenbendazole is almost always ineffective unless given at the same time as a different class of wormer.

Go get a fecal test. Figure out what you’re dealing with, and come back here so we can figure out an effective dewormer for you.

I’m not really worried about the spitting up, goats hate drenching, they can thrash and really freak out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh! Okay, I was just super worried and I thought their behavior was out of the ordinary. Guess they don’t have to deal with that calcium drench anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts