The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have recently noticed 2 out of 4 of my does are struggling to urinate. Like really squatting and bending hard down to get a couple drops out or even sometimes nothing. 1 of the does has been acting really strange and had a very high temp and was really sick 2 days ago I administered b complex and red cell and she has picked up heaps, condition however is poor.
The only thing i can think of possibly that caused this was a preventative lice treatment to them 2 does only. I had done it about 1-2 weeks before all this started to accure i used extinosad pour on. Could this have possibly caused this or is it maybe the food im feeding them (wheat and dairy meal mixed together). Im stuffed for answers right now.
Any comments will be appreciated cheers

·
8,066 Posts
Does can get stones, like bucks or wethers do. Can you get a hold of a vet? He can catheterize (tube in the urethera) them and determine if it is stones or a urinary tract/bladder infection.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Urinary calculi (stones) caused by a diet imbalanced in calcium or phosphorus could be the cause. But I agree, it would be odd for two to present at the same time! What about dehydration?

I don't think the lice treatment had anything to do with it but I am concerned that they've had other illness. B-Complex and Red Cell are great for support, but they won't resolve most issues. When you say the one that was sick is in poor condition - she is underweight?

Are they pregnant or lactating?
How much 'wheat and dairy meal' are they eating? What is in it? Do they also have hay and minerals?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Urinary calculi (stones) caused by a diet imbalanced in calcium or phosphorus could be the cause. But I agree, it would be odd for two to present at the same time! What about dehydration?

I don't think the lice treatment had anything to do with it but I am concerned that they've had other illness. B-Complex and Red Cell are great for support, but they won't resolve most issues. When you say the one that was sick is in poor condition - she is underweight?

Are they pregnant or lactating?
How much 'wheat and dairy meal' are they eating? What is in it? Do they also have hay and minerals?
Thanks for the advice
-The doe that was sick has yes lost weight she wasnt eating much however seems to have her appetite back
-No they are not pregnant
- i feed 10 cups of wheat, and 5 cups of dairy meal this consits of "Mill mix, steam rolled barley, steam rolled oats, cracked corn, sunflower, lucerne chaff, molasses, vegetable oil, salt and premium vitamin and mineral premix."
This is giving into a trough for the 4 does.
I dont feed hay there is plenty of grass around. And no i dont give minerals should i in Australia?, they have a salt block thats about it. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts