The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some questions people are afraid to ask because they don't want other goat owners to think they are ignorant. Since I'm usually ignorant anyway, (according to Terri) I thought I would be the first to question the long held belief that goats sweat.

Just curious how many people have actually "seen" a goat sweat. I've read about it and have had people talk about it but I've never personally seen a goat sweat. If ever a goat was going to sweat they should have done it on some of my marathon trips. I have used them hard in hot weather to the point of exhaustion but have never had more than a slight damp area under the pad when I unsaddled them. Thats not sweating to me, its simply trapped moisture that would have otherwise evaporated without a trace. I'm not talking about normal moisture evaporation that happens all the time I talking about honest to goodness sweat like what a horse does when it lathers up or what I do when I put up hay. I've even wiped down hot goats with creek water to help cool them but have never seen one sweat on it own.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My experience has been the same as Rex's. I've seen some moisture under the saddle pads, but that's all. Of course where I live it's pretty dry and if they are sweating it's probably evaporating right away. I know I don't really get wet in hot weather here for that reason. My goats do pant a lot when they get hot. I watch them and when they are really panting, I know it's time to take a shade break.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.