goats swollen neck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ashleighashley, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ashleighashley

ashleighashley New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Hello, I was spending some time outside with my goats today and noticed that one of them, (nubian doe never bred, 13 months old), has a swollen neck. We just brought her home 2 weeks ago. The first picture is the day we brought her home (she is the one with white stripe) and the second one is of today.
    Is this something I should be worried about?
    any experience with this?
    should I take her to the vet?
    thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like Bottle Jaw. That means she is Anemic. It's usually caused by parasites Barber Pole worm and Liver Fluke in particular. I would dose her with Ivomectin Plus 1% for cattle. I use it orally at a rate of 1cc per 33lbs.

3. jddolan

jddolan New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    That to me looks like what is called bottle jaw and would really need to be wormed ,do you know if they have been wormed at all? Jeff

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Bottle jaw, I agree.

5. ashleighashley

Mar 18, 2013
    wormer

I have wormed her about 2 days after I got her, I am pretty sure it was the Ivomectin.
    Should I do it again?
    perhaps the stress of a new place could warrant extra? what do you think????
    Someone said anemic?
    How do I help this?

6. jddolan

jddolan New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    We were all thinking alike on that one,Jeff

7. jddolan

jddolan New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    What was she wormed with?

8. ashleighashley

Mar 18, 2013
    wormer

pretty sure it was the ivomectin but I can check...
    I know for sure it was Ivo-something, is there any other that starts with ivo?

9. jddolan

jddolan New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    It is ivermectin ,it can be given sub q or orally,in this,case it should be given orally,if it was not or u can't find out she should get another dose,can get it at tractor supply company or feedstores,Jeff

10. goathiker

Only the Ivomec Plus kills Liver Fluke. She should be wormed 3 times 10 days apart. You can give her Red Cell to help with the Anemia. About 6 ccs should be enough for her. I like to divide into two doses. 3cc twice a day.

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with Goat hiker, Ivomac plus...but I prefer to inject sub Q 1 cc per 40 # 3 times ten days apart then once more in 30 days...: ) red cell will help build her iron back up..b complex as a support vitamin..

12. ashleighashley

Mar 18, 2013
    Plan

so i should get ivomec plus instead of ivermectin? give it now, and another in 10days and another in 10 more days and get the red cell and vitamin B.
    Everyone agree?
    Does the ivomec plus take care of the barbor worms as well?
    How about my other goats? I have one 13 month old expecting any day and a 2 month old doe. Should I use the same treatment for all or just regular treatment on the others without symptoms?

(these are my first goats, sorry for so many questions)

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Dont be sorry : ) We like questions...keeps up on our toes ;)

I agree : ) per the treatment....as for your other Does, I would first see if they need it..
    Have a fecal done, check bottom eye lids for pinkness ( goat-link.com has an anemic eye chart that shows you how to grade the color )...

14. goathiker

I honestly try to never use Ivomec of any kind on kids under 6 months. Here Safeguard still works for the littles, others use Valbazen.
    I agree you should treat the one who obviously needs it and get a fecal on the others or check eye lids.

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree goathiker...I prefer valbazen for babies under 6 months..its oral..: )

16. goathiker

So is Ivomec...for me :D

According to my vet, Ivomec can pass an inmature blood brain barrier and occasionally create a retarded kid.

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    lol...: )

'According to my vet, Ivomec can pass an inmature blood brain barrier and occasionally create a retarded kid.'

Yes this is what I read and cant remember where...I stopped using it on kids under six months old ever since..but I cant find any back up info....

18. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    Ok, I have to be honest here. I had to use valbazen at 1cc per 10lbs and give iron injections (ferrous 100) 6cc per day in the muscle to get rid of bottle jaw. Ivomec and red cell didn't touch it.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Valbazen works too....just depends on the area and how often each is used I think...some dont have any luck with Ivomac while here in my area it still rocks...same with valbazen..I love both meds ...: )

20. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    I had one heck of a time with two does and bottle jaw. It would NOT go away and the color just wasn't coming back. Frustrating.
    OP...you are NOT alone. ;)