The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Western PA and we are feeling the arctic blast again. I set them up well last night, they had a nice hayrack full of good 2nd cut and a flake of 1st that they've been loving to nibble on. Electric water bucket was up and running, another warm bucket was there and their minerals. It was nice in there. I was happy for a bit, saw them in there on the camera and then the last time I looked, they were gone! I had moved one of their platforms on the down wind side of the barn, thinking if they did go sleep outside, they could have most of the wind blocked.

I came out this morning and the goobers were laying on the ground by the gate! Oh my, I just muttered the whole way down to get their morning feed. They got up, peed/pooped and ate fine. No shivering, but come on! Get in the clean, dry, protected barn!

I've had them for coming up on 2 years and during that time I have not locked them in the barn, they tend to freak out. So now is not the time to start doing it and stress them out and cause problems. But I tell you, when it gets a bit warmer out, I'll start closing that bottom with the top closed to get them used to it. I have a dutch door, so the top door is closed to cut down on the wind/rain/snow that gets in. I don't know that they'll ever not freak out with the door closed, but we'll give it a shot.

If I didn't dye my hair, I'd be completely white at a relatively young age.

Hope everyone is staying warm and healthy out there!

Kelly

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no, they melt in the rain or snow! We had a snow squall come through right after I came in and they ran their butts inside. Sometimes I appreciate a little precipitation on a chilly night, then I know they'll be inside!

They are doing okay, I've only seen them shake twice in the two years. Both times because they had just come from following me in from the gate. I have a heating lamp, but that's only for emergencies - I used it once for 30 minutes or so. I don't want to cause a fire and I don't want them to get used to it and get hot and start sweating and make it worse.

Kelly

Attachments

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Thats a beautiful picture. Sorry I know its hard to be in..causes lots of extra work. But it is beautiful to look upon
Are your goats all boys? ( Boys are Dumb posts) lol. My goats do the same thing. Ive seen them lay outside side by side & dog. In 10° night s. No moisture. And then in spring/ summer...in the house????? Go figure!
I never lock mine up. The only time Ive shut all doors is for birthing..to guarantee mama some alone time with babies!
I even leave the doors open in severe weather. That seems less stressful on mine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Twin girls. I actually said/thought, oh Echo will stay in and Nyx will follow! That'll make me so happy! I go inside and say to the cats, I hope those crazy goats stay inside. The weather is supposed to break on Friday, so I do the countdown thinking till then - get through tonight and tomorrow morning and it's back to the high 20s and then 30s and 40s!

On a plus side, they've been in the garage multiple times, not that I'm setup for them to stay in or would I want them to unless it's an emergency. I normally forget something and they come trotting in behind me. Figure it's good for them to be exposed to it, in case it's needed.

I'm sure you've all done the same thing - I'll stand in there with them - they like when I'm there - to make sure they "like" the hay and are eating and I start thinking to myself - it's not too bad. I move all around the barn and take my gloves off and then fluff up the straw where I think it needs to be. In the summer I keep all hay off the floor, but last winter I started leaving it there for them to stand on. I've been working on the flooring and it's holding up, but it's a limestone dust on limestone 2, so it's not muddy, but it does get damp to mildly wet. Other spots are dry as a bone.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Last winter I had the same problem!! Mine refused to use their cozy house with lots of straw!! This winter has been better, they have a brand new barn and they really like it in there. It has a good loafing area, so I think they just like being in there.

But goats are so hardy when it comes to the cold, they know what they can handle! Let them be outside if that’s what they want!!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I used to stress like crazy when they wouldn’t go in at night time. Get up all threw the night to check on them. Now I just make sure it’s not a low man (woman) not being allowed in and let them do their own thing. I’ll tell you though we don’t get snow often here so they are quite confused by it and usually are in their house looking out like “what the heck is that crap!”

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silly goats! Have you tried a night light? Maybe one of those LED stick-on switches? Giving a light always works for me.
I did. I'd see them run out of the barn when it got colder like their butt was on fire. Or something was in there. They have an elevated sleeping platform with small gaps, so I got down on my knees and looked around, nothing. So I got a trail camera with a motion sensor. Works great, but more for me than I think them! I also put two on the outside of the door. Just enough, not a flood light. Little solar powered ones that have surprised me on how long they last at night.

Thankfully, last night was the coldest night and while they started out inside, saw them outside, waited a bit and next time I looked, they were back in the barn. While they were out at the gate at 6 am, I think they spent most of the night inside. And there was no shivering or ill-effects.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You aren't alone. Clyde seems impervious to weather. He came out in the rain to yell at me the other day because he saw me going to the shed. I was like FOOL get back in your barrel. So I brought him fresh hay for his barrel to be bedding. This moron stands in the rain and eats his bedding...
Haha, love that. I also try and trick them by bringing them just a bit of fresh hay, cause that hay left untouched all night in the barn has cooties on it or something. I put this old straw I had out yesterday and Nyx started eating it. What the heck? I said stop that, all this good hay and you are eating that?!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Oh no, they melt in the rain or snow! We had a snow squall come through right after I came in and they ran their butts inside. Sometimes I appreciate a little precipitation on a chilly night, then I know they'll be inside!

They are doing okay, I've only seen them shake twice in the two years. Both times because they had just come from following me in from the gate. I have a heating lamp, but that's only for emergencies - I used it once for 30 minutes or so. I don't want to cause a fire and I don't want them to get used to it and get hot and start sweating and make it worse.

Kelly
I figured.
My point was they know when they need to be in the barn. ;)
I wouldn't worry about them if they want to stay outside.
Mine usually do on cold, clear, calm nights.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know and I get it, but can't stop worrying. And I'm way better after having a year under my belt with their craziness. I'm sure that in year 10, I'll still be worrying, that's just me! I appreciate all the feedback, it's nice to know that it's not just my girls!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
33 degrees! I feel like it's a summer day out there! Sun is out, goats and chickens are laying down and sunning themselves, one of the chickens was so relaxed she had her leg stuck out in a chicken yoga position.

Last night they did their normal thing, in the barn, at the gate, and then back in the barn, which is when I looked on camera and saw them - one is laying down by the water bucket. Then this morning, their butts were laying on the wet ground again, grrrr. So with the sun shining, it's melting everything, when they sleep outside tonight they should be on an elevated platform at least.

Supposed to stay in the 30s and then 40s on weekend and 50s next week. Life is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
You aren't alone. Clyde seems impervious to weather. He came out in the rain to yell at me the other day because he saw me going to the shed. I was like FOOL get back in your barrel. So I brought him fresh hay for his barrel to be bedding. This moron stands in the rain and eats his bedding...
Excuse me, cause I'm new, but what kind of barrel? Were new to having goats (5 months) so am just learning!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts