Goats udders

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rubydaisyin spain, Aug 30, 2010.

1. rubydaisyin spain

rubydaisyin spain New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I have just been given a female goat who is three years old and has never had kids. But she has very enlarged udders and the left is significantly larger than the other. They are also very hot. Is this mastitis and how can I best treat it if she wont come to me yet.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It sounds like she probably has mastitis. It would be best to have her seen by a vet...especially if you've never dealt with mastitis before.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have to agree, if you have never dealt with goats before I would find a vet that will see her. I hope you can find one.
    Did they say why they gave her away? It sounds like this is why, and they did not want to deal with it.

Have you by any chance taken her temp? It should be between 101-103. Also if I were you until you can get her to a vet I would try to milk that side out if not both sides.

Good luck. Please keep us posted. It might also to help to post a picture of her.

4. rubydaisyin spain

rubydaisyin spain New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I have spoken to my vet (50km away) and she said give her a broad spectrum antibiotic by injection, which I have done. She has had 2 days worth of antibiotics and the udders seem to be getting larger. I cannot get her to a vet easily and they will not make house calls (Spanish!!!) they are not really into looking after their sheep and goats here.
    Is it milk in the udders or some other nasty stuff. She has never and is not pregnant.
    I will try and get a picture posted but the internet is closed down for a month and I am using a friends.

I will try and take her temp but I dont think she will allow me. she has not been handled very much.
    Thanks

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    She almost certainly needs is an antibiotic udder infusion. Here in the US, what's typically used to treat mastitis is a product called "ToDay," which is cephapirin sodium, delivered directly into the udder through a cannula that's inserted into the teat orifice.

Do you think you can get something like "ToDay" where you are?

If all you can get are injectable antibiotics, I'd personally try either tylosin (Tylan 200) or erythromycin (Gallimycin 100), in that order of preference. Both are known to reach high concentrations in the milk of lactating animals, which means that a greater proportion of the medicine should pass through the udder as opposed to other antibiotics which, for instance, may be eliminated through urination.. Those may be better for treating urinary tract infections.. Point being, the route of elimination of any given antibiotic can be important to consider in situations like this..

I hope that makes sense.. :scratch:

She also needs to be milked out regularly. The "stuff" in there is milk, but it's infected milk. It will very likely be stringy and clotty and bloody, and it needs to come out at least twice a day as part of the treatment.

Please understand, though, I have been fortunate and have never had to treat a case of mastitis in my own herd. All I've done is read A BUNCH and tried to prepare myself for *when* the day comes that I'll have to deal with it. What I've mentioned to you is simply what *I* *would* do -- not what I have done. I'm not speaking from first-hand experience here..

Just wanted to put that out there for full disclosure.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree...Thankfully I've never had to deal with mastitis on my girls but she really should be milked out, especially if her udder is getting larger....get as much as you can out of her and do the teat infusion if you can get it, if not then it's best to continue with the antibiotic injection.

A warm wet towel used as a compress with help with the inflammation too and will make it easier to milk her.