Goats & Weather

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Only when the temperature is above 5C (about 32F?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only when the temperature is above freezing

14.3%
  3. Only when the temperature is above 5C and it's dry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only when the temperature is above freezing and it's dry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. In any temperature if it's dry

14.3%
  6. I leave them outside in any temperature /weather

71.4%
  1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Okay... I'm having a little fight with someone I know who insists on putting my goats inside when I dont want her to, and makes a huge noise when I'm about to put them out saying it's too cold, etc. and I'm ANNOYED and need some help here :greengrin:

Ok... I'm wanting to know what everyone else does, weather wise, with their goats.

Do you put them outside when it's cold? When it's raining? or just when it's dry and warm... do you have a shelter in the field? or do you bring them in and out? or... what?

I have a field that has trees in it but no man made shelter - so I take them inside if it's raining but IMHO it does them no harm to be outside when it's cold.

Plus, what would be the lowest temperature you'd leave them outside at?

thanks
    LW

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Mine make their own choice as they can go out at anytime they want and then into the barn anytime they want, that is just the way I am set up though.

If I wasn't set up like that they would be put up when it was cold & raining or just raining as mine don't like the rain.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Mine can go in and out as they please and I find them outside in the frigid temps and quite happy about it.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Same here, mine can come and go if they please...they have the shed doors closed only when the temp will be under 25*F at night and they stay in thru the day in very cold temps by choice.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I let mine go in whenever they choose. I mean mine have heave Cashmere Sweater on, :dance: so they stay warm.

The only time I lock my animals in the barn is when we are going to get a lot of snow. Out where I live snow always means wind, so really the only reason I lock them up is to keep the snow from blowing in the barn. We have had times that we did not know it was going to snow like it did and we had to shovel the barn out. :worried: It is not fun because after you do that you have to clean all the bedding out and then put fresh straw down so they are not in wet bedding.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    My goats go in and out of the barn at their will. They don't seem to mind the cold at all...but they do not like to be out if it's raining or snowing heavily.

The only time I ever shut them in is when it gets below 0 degrees F (-17C)...which does not happen a whole lot here.

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We let our goats out every morning (they can go in and out of the shed) and lock them at night, and we always have. If we didn't let out goats out they would be really mad at us, and they love it outside even if it is really cold, lately its been around 5 degrees here (F) and they jump and frolick like its summer, and they are fine with the cold; my mom and I on the other hand are lucky if we make it through chores with our limbs still attached.
    You should explain to this person bugging you the difference between goats and humans, and that goats can handle the cold very well.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Our goats go in and out as they please too. When it is dry weather, they are out on pasture all day and put in their barn w/ attached pen at night. When it's wet they can go out into their large pen or just stay in the barn (they usually choose the latter). :)

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    my goats can go in or out whenever they please. I never lock them in, even when its -20 or colder, they can hang out in the barns and cuddle.

10. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I have Boer's and they are outside all the time . They have 3 sided shed out in the pasture's. We do get cold weather here in Fl , nowhere as bad as most folks . They do come in when it gets close to kidding time. I lock up moms and babies for 2-3 weeks at night only depending on the temp. I think that as long as they can get out of the wind or rain /snow they are ok
    Karen

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have two well covered, warm shelters in the main pen where they stay spring, summer, winter, fall. I never bring them in unless one is sick, it's kidding time, etc. I wouldn't bring mine in in cold weather, but I would have a place where they can go in and out if they do get a little to cold. Can you possibly make a small shelter for them out in the pen? It doesn't have to be anything permanent.

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I asked this same question not too long ago here......I am fairly new to the goat world, my first winter with them. I am finding that they rather be outside then inside as long as it is dry.....they hate the rain! They don't mind a little snow if it is a dry snow....mine do have access to their barn, but they pretty much stay outside until dusk. It seems like mine are more frisky and playful the colder it is......they can not wait for me to open their door in the morning and let them out......they are climbing on me while I'm trying to open it, like their telling me to hurry up. There has been a couple of days that I have left them inside because of the weather, and on those days their pen is a mess when I go out to the barn......they will turn over every feeder......they knock over their mineral and baking soda.....it is like they are throwing fits because they are having to stay inside :)! One thing that I do, is I take warm water out to them about 3x's a day and they love it.....now when they see me coming with the bucket they come running......my husband says I have spoiled them to it.....oh well!

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have a barn, and mothers with tiny babes go in the barn at night. The pasture is cross fenced into 5 sections, each has a 3 sided shelter, open to the south. So, everyone can chose to be in or out at night. I've gone out on very cold nights and they are all out sleeping under the stars. They only go in the shelters if it's raining or snowing or very, very windy. If it snows alot, Hubby goes out and shovels a trail, to their water buckets, :love: .
    I have Cashmere goats and NDG's.

14. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I didn't answer the survey either because I also have an inside/outside area for my goats. They all have free will over whether they want to be in the barn or outside in the run area.

Unless it's raining or snowing hard, mine are almost always outside until night.

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    My goats are only contained up during the night and then I don't even make the bucks go up. They have free choice 24 hours a day. The does are up at night and in the morning I go down and feed them and open their gate. I don't make them choose. The gate is open all day long. They come and go as they please. When it is raining I put their hay in the barn so they don't have to go out in it. So they don't, they stay up all the time that it rains. In the evening I go down and feed them again and close the barn up then.

16. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    thanks guys for the answers :D