The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to goat raising, so I worry about everything. I have 2 wethers, they are dwarf nigerian goats. over the last 2 weeks they have both gotten a round rather tight belly? I feed them the recommended amount of non sweet grain, 1/4 cup each morning and evening and free choice timothy hay pellets and timothy hay, plus I add boss to the food also. When I first brought them home it was recommended that I give them Jump Start probiotic in paste form, in which I have been doing every day I have tried skipping a day or two here and there but I worry that their rummins? will get off balance. I know they dont exercise a lot because at the moment they have a small area around their goat house to roam. But I try to walk them everyday around our yard on leases. I need info on what to do. Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You can stop the Probiotic. While it is fine to give it to them daily, you don't have to. Do you have a good loose goat mineral out for them? I would make sure they have the loose mineral and then skip the BOSS. A good goat mineral is Manna Pro Goat Mineral at TSC. It comes in an 8 lb bag. Put it out free choice for them.

I would also give them alfalfa pellets to up the calcium a bit in place of the timothy pellets also stop the free choice timothy pellets. Their entire diet needs to be 2-2.5:1 calcium to phosphorus to prevent UC.

You could also go to feeding them grain only once a day. Hay should be the biggest part of their diet. Grain is always a supplement.

It really sounds like they have a good rumen going. Probably cutting down on the timothy pellets will help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you bunches, i do have a mineral block I broke up into fine bits i got it at tsc it was a berry/ something mineral block I also put out free choice iodine salt and baking soda, I appreciate the help, I'll do that and get back with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts