The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady offered to purchase my wethers, which is a blessing.... until I learned that they would be living with a pair of donkeys. I've read on here that's not always a good thing..... should I take her offer?

:ponder:

I know the boys will be well cared for otherwise, just not sure about their pen-mates.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karen, that's a good thought, thanks for the suggestion.

I guess that the stories I heard were of the donkeys biting the tails of the goats, and causing problems (((vet bills))). So if they just fight, that would be a good offer, but pain and suffering wouldn't work.

I guess that if no one else is suggesting otherwise, it's not a bad opportunity, and the stories I'd heard are not that common.

Thanks!! :)

·
Catharina
2,231 Posts
Did you ask the lady who owns the donkeys if they have been around goats before? I knew someone who had 2 goats killed by donkeys, & I do remember that thread here a while back about the goat who had her tail bitten off. On the other hand, some people use donkeys as livestock guardians. Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a follow-up, the goats are doing great. I love their new home, lots of trees, blackberry bushes, and other shrubbery. The donkeys are black with tan markings; Shrek and Fiona. All four critters sleep in a little area together, and the goats will place their front feet on the donkeys to reach high places, or run under them to get to their treats first. I still don't know the breed of the donkeys, nor do I have a picture of their new place, yet I am so pleased. I so happy for the boys for spring time!
Thanks for the good ideas :)

·
8,487 Posts
That's great your goats went to a new home. Placing goats is such a difficult thing. We always want our goats to go to great forever homes. I try to do a follow up call or email then, if the people never contact me again, I just hope all is well, but try not to dwell on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts