The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pregnant doe that just went through a er vet visit. Her respiratory rate was extremely high. My vet spent hours with her and after xrays determined she had a impacted rumen. I was treating with with mineral oil 240 cc over a 48 hr period until she started pooping out the mineral oil. I had to not feed her for 48 hrs and keep her on very limited food for a week. She seems fine now. I have a wether now that started with the same symptoms last thursday. He went to the vet and they recommended the same treatment for him. My farm vet was out of state so she didn't see him but recommended same treatment. He was very bloated the Wednesday before. I have been giving him alfafa pellets made into a mush with water and oil. He doesn't seem to be improving as fast as my girl did. Are we missing something? He never had xrays so i'm wondering if he has something else going on or is it just a long process. I called the vet yesterday with my concerns and she just wants to continue with the oil and banamine every 12 hrs. If anyone has gone through this i would appreciate hearing your experiences. Thank You Donna

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do treatment as you are doing.

What were they being fed prior to all this?
You may want to reconsider their feeding program.

Sorry you are having issues. :(
The only change was that i got hay from two different suppliers. I went back to my original one but i have a hard time going there because he obtained four goats last fall and keeps them in a dark small stall in his barn. They are in there 22 hours a day. I don't think he is taking care of them very good either. I went over to get hay while he was gone and they goats had no water in their stall and he hasn't cleaned it since he got them. I gave them water and they acted like they never had it before. They drank three buckets full. I trim his goats hooves for him just so i know they get done. They were horrible. The only thing else i gave my goats was a tree a neighbor was getting rid of. I feed them very little grain and alfafa pellets. i have three does and four wethers.Thanks for your reply!

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
The tree may be the culprit, what kind?

Try to keep their diet the same as it was before any bad issues happened.
If they were given something new, such as a lot of tree, it is always best to not overdo it. Just a little bit at a time, if you do want to feed it. But yet again, you don't want a tree they will get sick on.

That is horrible about the goats with no water. So sad.
So these are different goats than than yours? right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts