The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I started feeding Noble Goat Dairy Parlor 16 and just bought a new bag this past week. The goats have been very happy with it... until last night when I fed from the new bag... They all acted like I was trying to poison them!!! None of them would eat more than a few bites.

I am going to call the feed store in a few minutes but was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem with feeds? :confused:

BTW, the feed from the new bag looks and smells fine to me. For the feed store to replace it, they have to order it and it won't be there until Wednesdays. So I have to order it a week in advance of when I am going to need it as they don't keep it in stock. Guess I'm the only one using it around here.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Purina changes ingredients in feeds depending on what is cheapest etc. Each bag can be completely different feed. It's best to always have some of the old bag to mix with the new each time. This time of year they always change the molasses from powdered to liquid.

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I did not know that.... but the goats apparently did! They love molasses tho, I can't imagine them turning any of it down! lol

I called the feed store, of course they can't do anything about it today, but they are going to try to get another bag from a different lot number and see if that makes any difference.

So I won't know until Wednesday if a bag from a different lot number will make any difference. If not, I guess I'm on the hunt for another goat feed.

Goathiker, I usually do have some left from the previous bag but it didn't work out that way this time.

·
1,524 Posts
Mine did this when I was feeding Purina for a short time (coupons). They do change their ingredients/formula often and mine would do the "NO WAY AM I EATING THIS!"

The feed I use and have used since the early 70's has an ingredient change in the fall (harvest time) and the goats will get picky when that happens for a few days, until they realize that I am not playing their games.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Our Purina plant sits just below a raised area of the highway. A couple years ago they had a single worker checking the silos. He fell from the top of one tall one to the smaller one beside it. No safety equipment, no helmet, harness, or safety line. His body laid on the silo until a passing motorist called in a complaint. He had died on impact and nobody missed him...He had been there at least 5 hours.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Wow, how do you not notice that a coworker is gone that long. And shame on Purina for even allowing 1 person to do that.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well, that's horrible... I was using Purina, but was going to switch over to Nutrena brand, then came a great deal on spent brewery grain, so I'm going to be feeding that and alfalfa pellets.. After hearing that story Goathiker.... No more Purina for me....

·
558 Posts
The first time I had to get a new bag of sweetfeed for my girls, same exact brand, they turned their noses up to it too. I gave them a cup in the morning and when I went to give them some at night it was still in there bowl from the morning. I wondered the same thing, is there something wrong with this new bag..... It only took a day of me not giving them any sweetfeed for them to start eating it again. Little stinkers.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Glad Im switching ! Geez :angry::angry::angry:

I'm so mad about them switching the ingredients or quality of and Im certainly livid about how they cherish their co workers !

Not good , not good at all :(

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I've never been a fan of them and this backs it up all the more!
That's awful!

I like using Blue Seal :) and the people are so nice :) any problems we have they always take care of it :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I noticed my girls wouldnt be so interested in their grain sometimes and thought that was quite odd , but never paid to much attention to it cause I knew they were OK. How horrible of me not to even think about something being off with the food :( I checked it to make sure it wasnt spoiled but thats about it. Im so sick about this ! Im feeding Purina Noble now , I got them off the Chow. Next Im mixing my own grain , I have all the ingredients , all I have to do is go slow and let them get used to the change. Oh my , am I ever glad I read this thread !
And , am I ever glad to be part of this wonderful family :)

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
The problem is that you also need to check out if the feed is being milled by Purina. Purina mills many feeds for other companies. Land O Lakes is one of them. Stopped using Purina products when Land O Lakes feed killed a whole lot of alpacas and Purina wouldn't admit they did wrong.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh the thought of what could have happened to my babies :(
Ugh , my minerals are Purina too :doh::veryangry:
Geez :GAAH::mecry:

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
A chicken dewormer was put into the alpaca feed. It affected their hearts and they had heart attacks. This happened quite a few years ago.

Found out that it happened on a more frequent basis than is known. But chickens and rabbits, etc are much cheaper and Purina easily paid people for their losses. Purina didn't like how much they were expected to pay out for alpacas. So there was a big lawsuit. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth so I stay away from Purina and Land O Lakes products.

I was lucky and wasn't affected personally but had friends who lost alpacas.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts