Going For a Walk in the Park?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PACE, Mar 31, 2009.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Spring is here, finally!! The goats are feeling good and Melino is ready to continue his cart training. I want to have positive new experiences to get him out and about and seeing the world, and the idea came to me to take him to a small local park. The thought just came to me and I might write a letter to the people who run it (I really don't have a clue about who they are) asking if I could bring my pet goat to their park. I would follow all their rules: keeping the dog(goat) on a leash, picking up after him (with the use of a dustpan and brush carried in a backpack... and anyway, goat poo is a lot better than dog poo lol). Melino has very good leash manners, and I would use his halter for extra control. He is also mild-mannered and friendly to people, though a little shy of some dogs, as is natural. Any dogs would be on a leash, though so I don't think there is much of a problem there. In any case, he is completely non-aggressive and I am confident he will never get out of control.

The only other thing I can think of is that he might want to eat the plants. There are several rhododendrons there, for a start, and I am sure the staff would not appreciate him eating leaves off trees or nibbling at the grass. However, this park has no sidewalks, only one twisting road through it, which conveniently, cars are not allowed on. So I could be on the road at all times, out of reach of any vegetation. With Melino on a leash and with his halter on, it would also be easy enough for me to keep control of his head.

Anyway, I have never heard of anyone who took their goat to a park, and I'm not even sure if it would be allowed. So before I write and ask if I could bring Melino, I wanted to ask all you trusty goat people for opinions, pointers, and to any sort of problems or concerns that I have not considered. I deffinitely want to make sure all my bases are covered before I take my 170 pound baby to a place where he could potentially get into trouble. If done correctly, I think people would enjoy seeing a well-behaved, intelligent, and polite goat in public. It could give the public a chance to learn more, give me a chance to show off, and give Melino a chance to get some love! So please, tell me what you think, and don't hold back any negatives you see in the plan, I want to make sure everything is safe so we can all have a fun, relaxed time :)

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nice to see ya back!!!!

And I would be one to say that Melino is such a gentleman that I wuld definately have him experience the "park scene", provided that you are with him of course!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well one thing comes to mind... :( ....you may be the innocent one ...but there may be dogs that show up ....that might want to hurt or kill the goat......I would be really concerned about that....other people may not be able to control there dogs and accidents do happen..... :help:

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am a firm believer of just do it and play innocent. I do agree that there maybe dogs that are not goat friendly. I would plan on being of the defensive, be prepared to kick at any dog that gets to near your goat. I would not let that stop me from going though.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if it is animal friendly then I say why not! its easier to ask forgiveness then ask for permission ;)

6. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I take Pancakes to Pow Wows. You want to talk about a lot of dogs. I have a sign that is near my both that say warnign attack goat. May attack dogs. Peopel laugh. I keep him away from the dogs but if they come near I warn people that Pan dose nto like dogs and he might head butt them. Even though Pan use to live with two dogs and would nto hurt them.