Going for first date... what to bring?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SandStoneStable Farm, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Hi. My girls are going on their first date for a full week. I've only ever had whethers, so this studding/breeding/traveling stuff is all new to me.
    Not sure what to bring, what to plan for... any suggestions?
    I was thinking of getting some BoviSera, it's an hour drive. And, I guess feed?
    Thanks.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!

Well...the most important thing to need is to know if your does will be in standing heat during their week long vacation. This will definately be the best thing to know.

You're on the right track as far as taking their normal feed and hay along, they'll be stressed enough with the trip so there will be no worries with stressing them with a feed change too. I've never used the Bovi Sera but I would recommend a dose of probiotic paste as there are times that stress disrupts the rumen function.

Hopefully they all are bred and settle for late April kids for you.

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Yes, you should bring your own feed/hay & write up the directions for the breeder on how you feed...maybe bring extra feed in casee they don't get bred within that first week. Some goats have a hard time adjusting to different feed so it's less stressful if they at least have familiar food.
    If the breeder requires any paperwork like CAE negative test results or vet check papers, make sure to remember them. Also, $ if you have a money agreement.

4. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks for the "Welcome", and the quick response. I'm so happy to find a site with other goat-a-holics!!

The girls have been cycling, but without a buck I'm not sure when exactly to call it "standing". The whethers kinda try, but they're just a mess (backwards and sideways and what not!) The girls are probably just standing still because the odds are in their favor!
    I'm hoping the week will be enough, if not I will plan for a few more days of feed! I'll bring some paste too, they're just such little witches with that!! Got the paperwork all bagged up!
    Thanks again for the quick reply :)
    Caryn