Going on a Breeding and Buying Adventure!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by badnewsboers, Nov 8, 2008.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Tomorrow sure is going to be busy. Ken and I are taking two of his does to be bred to another breeder's buck. This buck is nicknamed Kapow and is the sire to the fullblood doe I bought this year. He came from Jerico Farms and his pedigree is packed with EGGS and Ryals stuff.

Then we're going out to another breeder's farm (the partner of the owner of the Kapow buck) to look at again and most likely buy a Collateral Damage son buck. I also plan on taking a look at his Owens T75 flush kids. He really wants someone to show one of them so he can get a better price on them, but this breeder is older and shows are harder on him. Sine he knows I'm looking for something to show I'm hoping he might cut me a deal.

And all of this will occur before 10 AM, because I have to go back to school. :roll:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow....you're certainly gonna be busy! Hope your girls settle, sound like they would be awesome kids!

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    congrats, i like the eggs lines, theyre impressive. sounds like we are gonna need pics. :)

4. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Heh, I don't think you guys will want to see pictures of the goat. The buck is really heavy in rut and since the breeder has him against a fence of does he's run himself down to nothing.

I like EGGS well enough but I normally am not fond of straight EGGS. I love the EGGS/Ryals crosses though.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    badnewsboers...I am a little confused.. :? .....don't know if you know or not........
    EGGS is a big breeder....it's the name of there ranch...when you see eggsfile ...or...EGGS/Ryals...ect... it is the breeder ..with the...herd letters....
    ( E.G.G.S) :)

I have straight eggsfile lines.... other eggs lines ....this egg and that egg....LOL... :) .and they are all beautiful... :love: ............
    other great genetics and popular goat lines also.....came from the E.G.G.S......ranch....

... on E.G.G.S....website read the "history page" it is interesting.....and see on the ..... "ennobled" page... both "eggfile" ..... (in which sold for $45,000 at one time it is on a different link.) and EGGS/Ryals magnum............... :)
    website below....

http://www.eggsboers.com/ennobled.html

this is what EGGS stands for... :)
    E.G.G.S.
    Erath General
    Genetic Services

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I am quite aware what EGGS stands for. I have been involved with Boer goats for 5 years and am well versed on bloodlines.

I mean exactly what I said though. I don't tend to like straight bred EGGS. Their stuff normally is more older style. I just happen to like a different look of goat than what they breed. But I do feel their line make good animals when outcrossed with other stock.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    badnewsboers......I found this on your website displayed below.... and it is saying BNBF Big Bang is your 1st FB boer?

I am sorry you don't like old school....but I do respect your opinion :( be careful with the new school it isn't perfect yet...they may not be able to regulate heat...because of to tight of skin....written by Dr. Fred C. Homeyer............ABGA judge...

If you like the new school that is OK ...but I love the old school for now.... :) ..it may change....someday?.. and I may go happy medium ...I don't know...all depends... :shrug:
    your doe is very pretty...... breed her to a good teated buck and she should give you a real nice show kid...or kids. :) :cool: :)

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    BB is my first fullblood. It was only in the past year or so I had a stable place to keep my own goats. So in the meantime I lived vicariously through other people's goats, showing but not owning. But now I can actually own my own stock as well.

And I've heard that school of thought on the new style but I'm completely not buying it. There is no evidence to support the claim other than the opinions of one judge. Besides I'm really mostly fond of the newer style does. I'm a sucker for a nice extended, clean neck. Bucks I prefer more in between thoguh my tastes do tend more towards the newer stuff.

I think BB's a gorgeous gal too. I'm hoping to AI her in May to Able Acre's Powerhouse buck.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am happy that things worked out for you ....to finally have your own goats :) ....just think ...now the real fun begins.... :) :thumbup: :cool:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how did your adventures go today???

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Not as well a I hoped.

We dropped the does off to be bred no problem. The buck owner really liked the does. It looked like one was starting to come in heat so hopefully they will be covered soon.

When we got to the other breeder's house is when things got frustrating. The Collateral Damage buck was limping bad and looked awful. Still his sire is amazing and we've liked the kids we've seen off him so Ken tried to talk the breeder down on the price. He wouldn't budge pricewise. Ken got irritated and decided not to buy him.

I looked at the flush babies and saw a few with potential. They weren't the style I typically like but solid doelings nonetheless. I asked the breeder how much he wanted for one of them and he wanted $1000. I asked him about a few others before giving up. What I thought was odd was he kept saying he really wanted me to get something competitive to show and offered to keep and feed the doe till showtime if I bought her. The pedigree is only average on the dam's side and the does aren't the style I like anyways so I passed on them. I have a friend with flush babies due next week so I might get one of them or buy one at a sale coming up.

I came home and my percentage doe was flagging like crazy. I should've brought her to be bred by the other buck today. Instead I ended up putting her in with the RRD Hammertime son we're borrowing. The cross should be decent but Ken and I already bred most of our does to that buck. :angry:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats frustrating. Hopefully the kids are exceptional and you can get great prices for them and the show well

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    toth or bnb ...

if you wouldnt mind, I'd be interested if you could post some pictures of give us some links to illustrate 'old style' and 'new style' American Boer goats.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that things did not work out as well as you had hoped for - but at least your girls are being bred :)

Keep your chin up - it will all work out one day!!! :hug:

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you stacey.... :)