Featured Going to be adding in Nubian's into our herd.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crystal, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Crystal

Crystal Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Arizona
    This is going to be a whole new adventure.:haha: We raise Nigerians but I feel like a newbie learning bloodlines & conformation on Nubian's. My good friend past away a few months ago. She raised Nubian's. Her son is only 19 & can not take care of all the animals. Well I decided to bring him back home. (I owned him for a week or two when he was 4 months old. I won him in a silent auction that I believed I would have been out bid on;)) He is a buck out of Six M Galaxy sire/dam. Loved some of his kids he had the last two years. Now I am researching bloodlines & conformation for a doe or two. I am not sure how this adventure is going to turn out. We have a few good Nubian breeders in Az. California is not that far. We are picking up a Nigerian doe today from CA. We have a lot of goals with our Nigerians & adding in Nubian's may be a challenge. He is going to need a little TLC because he has not had much in almost a year.
    Any advise on Nubian's? :D

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Congrats on your new adventure! Six M Galaxy sired some nice kids! As with any goats I would make sure you see the hard copy of CURRENT testing for CAE/Johnes - also I would want the G6S status of the sire and dam if getting kids, or the status of the mature goat - with the paperwork to back it up. I love my Nubians, I find them easy to keep, lots of creamy milk - do check out the udders and the LA scores if available. There are some nice breeders out west. Have fun!

Goat_Scout and Crystal like this.

3. Crystal

Crystal Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Arizona
    Thank you. I am going to quarantine him. I know he has not been tested in over a year. I put a holding pen by my horses to keep him away from my ND. I can ask the Crow's if his parents are G6S normal. If not I will test. They bred him. His name is Crow's Dairy Coco's Tuxedo. He is 24.44% inbred. Coco's Lucky Tiger at 6.86% the rest are 1.74% & below. Should I stay away from his lines being that inbred? I am not sure on percentages with Nubians.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Looking briefly at his genetics I notice that his grandsire is the same on the top and the bottom. If he has any LA scores, I would look at that and see if you can find some complimentary does. Also look at any performance records for his progeny. I didn't notice any G6S info on parents, but that doesn't mean it's not there, updates are slow in coming. There are some outstanding bloodlines in your area. It will be fun matching him up!

Crystal likes this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Oh - pics????? Would love to see him.

6. Crystal

Crystal Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Arizona
    I will have to get some better pictures once he has some TLC. I just got him home. He is super sweet.

Attached Files:

7. Crystal

Crystal Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Arizona
    He is home now. He is doing good. Very sweet & semi walks. Lol

Goat_Scout likes this.
  8. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    So handsome!