Going to be cutting my herd down.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Sorry guys...wish I had better news. Pepper didn't make it through the night, and neither did either of her kids. And what's worse, I found my friend's buck that lives here had passed away in the night as well, for no apparent reason. I am absolutely crushed and destroyed. I will probably be cutting down my herd to just my favorites. I am sick to my stomach beyond belief and I cannot do this.

You guys are my bestest goatie friends and I will still be here, but between my health and everything else, I just cannot go on anymore. Losses happen but this final unexpected loss is the final blow.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry... :( .......losses are never easy ....but they do and can happen.... I hate to hear .....that you are selling down your herd.... hang in there... sometimes we have better years..... with our goats...... than others....and it does... make us nervous ......as we don't want.... to lose any of them.... ....it is... so devastating..... we get so attached :( I pray.... things get better for you... :( :hug: :pray:

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you Toth.. I can't even begin to explain how awful I am feeling. The WORST part of it is telling my friend about her buck. I feel completely responsible.

I have offered her Blizzard, which is devastating but if she has him, he will have a good home and will be available to me if I decide to breed the does I kept next year. He won't replace her buck that has died, but he is a good buck...

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so very sorry Words truly cannot express the heaviness in my heart that I feel for you :hug:

We all have gonne through this...or similar situations, I have and I wanted to do as you are now thinking, it hurts, I know...there was nothing that you did wrong, it took me a very long time to realize that these things happen. :hug:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are very welcome.... :hug:

I feel so bad for you...that would be even harder to have to tell someone that their Goat is gone.... But you cannot blame yourself....things happen beyond our control....and if they don't give signs of illness then it could of been silent pneumonia in which doesn't show any signs...you just find them passed away..... You just never know.... my heart goes out to you... :hug: :(

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Ah, Epona, I saw this on FB. There's just not much you can do sometimes. Nature's like that. Don't give up; we've all had ups and downs with our goats. Losing babies is hard, I've certainly had my share...

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh heavens no. I sure wish I could give you a big :hug: . I so wish I could tell you something that would make you feel better, but I know right now there really is not anything. In tiem you will feel better.

As for the buck, I can not imagine what that was. Maybe you have a pnemonia going around. I am not sure I am just thinking.

I sure will be praying for you. Just think Pepper is with her kids running free along side the buck and watching over you all.

I am so sorry.

8. chad3006

chad3006 New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    It's been a tough year in Texas hasn’t it? I can relate. I’m currently running about a quarter of the stock my grandparents ran on this place and still it’s tough. We lost two of our best nannies this year that seemed to be healthy, while we were busy nursing about four others with dust-pneumonia. NO RAIN!

9. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I feel bad for you. I am so sorry for your loss.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I agree. I think silent pneumonia is the culprit here...thankfully the bucks are separated. Tornado seems to be fine but should I give him something just in case?

Blizzard isn't here, he is actually at my friend's to breed her does, so no worries there.

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so very very sorry :( What an awful night and day you have had. Major hugs going your way, and many thoughts and prayers that coming days look up for you.

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad though that you'll be hanging onto your favorites. It might be nice to just have a few that you can focus on....it will make your life much easier. I am sorry for the loss. We just lost one a couple weeks ago...the second one we've lost this year. It is hard. :(

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I just posted on FB but wanted to say once again how sorry I am to hear this. I can understand wanting to cut your herd down right now. When I lost Flower I felt the same way, she was my best goatie friend. Be sure to give yourself some time before you do anything that you might regret later.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks guys. Indeed I'll be holding onto my favorite does. There's a for FOR SURES, which is of course Hope, Seven, Julie, Bunny. Hallie stays because I gave her a home for life. Indy is probably going to go back to her previous owner, who very much misses her. Cinder, I am going back and forth on. I have her up for sale but I won't be unhappy if she never sells. She is the newest doe and rather shy but is coming around to me.

Blizzard is at my friend's and that's where he will stay. If/when I decide to breed next year, I'll be able to go get him, and he comes back here if she cannot keep him for any reason.

Tornado I am going back and forth with as well, I really like him but I kind of want to have just does here, and he'd have no buck companions.

Peggy and Fancy I'd already decided to sell so while I'll miss how pretty they are, I won't miss their shyness and my inability to touch them.

As for the reserves I had with other farms..I have no idea what I'm doing there. I was really looking forward to my Galloping Winds doe so...I will have to wait and see.

And if Hope has a doeling I really love, I will keep her.

So really I'm not cutting back too far, just moving out a few and keeping just does here.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I'm glad you don't have to sell all of them. :hug:

17. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Epona Im so sorry. Take deep breaths & take some time before you make any really hard descisions. My heart goes out to you :hug:

18. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    my thoughts and prayers go out to you..I will push positive energy your way...lose if always hard...so so sorry :sigh: :grouphug:

19. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you everyone. It's been a tough day but my friend is very understanding and we've come to a good agreement regarding Blizz and she will probably take Indy back after the kids are weaned, she misses her and that's her baby.

Things will be okay and maybe even better, just on a smaller scale

20. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Our Internet was down so I didn't see this thread until today. I am so sorry for your losses. Do not blame yourself. You did all you could. Things like that happen, and it all happens for a reason. :hug: