Going to be starting a new herd. Would like suggestions!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Bebop, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    I will be raising Nigerian Dwarfs, and I found a buck in AR that I will be picking up this summer.
    I also just found a doe, that I'm thinking about getting, but I am also tempted to get another buck that has really awesome milking genetics.
    Should I just wait though? Especially since I'm just starting out?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well its hard to say what your needs will be per does BUT if you are going to be moving and this buck is in your prices range, you plan on getting another buck anyway and lots of does this spring/summer for breeding in the fall. I can see it being profitable.

Beings that your buck you are buying is going to need a buddy of some kind (wether or another buck). But if you wont be building your herd till much later then feeding and careing for a buck isnt wise when you wont be using him. Remember bucks STINK and extra stinky when there is more then one. Jst dont want you to be surprised.

also is he the full package or just good in the milking department? you want a correct buck, nice level topline, high tight withers, straight back and front legs, good rear angulation to the legs and standing on strong pasterns.

3. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    He was a full package for sure! For now, I had to let that particular buck go, I still have time before I get the other buck and get does, so I have time to look for similar bucks.
    I was thinking 1 buck and 2 does, but that still leaves a buck that needs a friend.. so probably 2 bucks and maybe 3 does..

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to make it useful to have more then one buck you will need a larger herd of does -- unless you plan on retaining does from teh breeding with each of the bucks.

5. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    yes, that is the plan.

6. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    There also a lot of folks who do not keep a buck. For just a couple does its cheaper to use other breeders buck service. You also have a greater choice is who to breed each doe to. There for not having the worry of line breeding to close.

7. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Really?
    Well, where I'm going, I don't think I'll be able to even find someone close to provide stud services, so in my situation, I think it would be a good idea to have 2 bucks from different lines.

**ETA - Actually found a couple places that breed Nigerians in LA. They are a bit far, but I would need to see if they offer stud services. I'm already getting a buck, so I will either still get another buck or get a wether for him as a buddy.