Going to brag a little.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I milked Lyric today for the first time and she gave me four cups out of one side! And I didn't even get all of it! Somehow Finale had managed to get in Orion's pen, no idea how though. Going to check that out more tomorrow. So Lyric was quite full, I let Finale get a drink first and then I milked the side that she doesn't drink out of. I wish I'd taken the camera so I could show you, it's definitely not a GREAT show quality udder but it is a DREAM to milk! Even though she has much smaller teats than Lyrae it was actually much easier to milk, nice and soft. I couldn't believe how easy it was! She needs more capacity, bigger teats, and a bit stronger medial. Her fore isn't too bad, I really need a picture to show you all.

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That's great!!! Congrats!!! :wahoo:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as her production increases these next months you will probably see improvement.

Brag away - we all do

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds really good.... :wink:

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Nice capacity, Luna gives a gallonish a day total. thats 16 cups. and she is machine milked plus I get the milk, the baby is a bottle. so great milker there. :thumb:
    are you goin for a dairy herd or pets?

6. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    :thumb: looking forward to the pics.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I got some not so great pictures, just to give you an idea. But she's had the baby 24/7 so she's definitely nowhere NEAR full. (when she was fuller it was MUCH nicer) When do you think I'll be able to seperate Finale from her for a few hours?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See what I mean when that baby drains her dry? lol Luckily she's holding her weight really well!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Finale will grow nice a big on all that milk :)

You could do separate her once she is a week or two old but because it is still cold at night and she doesnt have a buddy (unless Ebony is out there) I would wait till she is at least 4 weeks old

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    after about two weeks you can separate, unless u wanna bottle feed :greengrin: then you get all the milk first and give baby what it needs

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great job Crissa! And she looks great....but PLEASE continue to milk her! A single baby can be sooooo bad on an udder! Personal experience speaking here.

As she is in milk longer her capacity will increase but I would likely no separate Finale from mom til she is 4 weeks.

And her eats will get bigger the more they are used..lol, hopefully her next freshening gives you twins :wink:

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I've been milking her every day. (or should I say night, lol) I am sooo impressed with her baby though! I've just got to brag on her a little too! She's starting to become even more friendly finally and I got her to set up today! I wish I'd had my sister to get a picture! She's really level and her rear legs are nice and angular, fairly wide. I think the only thing so far that I don't really like is the fact that it seems like her "elbows" are a little loose. Other than that I LOVE her!

12. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    What a pretty udder. I am curious, why is a good medial better than not having a good one?