Going to have my first kid

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by susan, Feb 22, 2009.

1. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    HELP!!! I am a real novice at this. I purchased a doe and buck pygmy goat in October. The Doe was already bred when I brought them home. I was told that she was due between Feb 26 and March 3rd. I don't know if I should put her in a stall (I tried and she does not want to go in) or let her stay out with my llama and two bucklings. If I leave her out will she be ok? She is very timid and I don't think that she will want me in the stall with her. This will be her third kidding. Can someone please advise me? I can send pictures tomorrow if that is what you need. Oh yeah her ligaments are getting thin.

Susan

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she is very close....I would not leave her in with the bucks...this late in pregnancy...
    I know she may not want to go in but...she needs to be away from the bucks right now...
    Try to get her use to you...try to figure out what she likes the best in treats so she can start to trust you....spend some time with her and let her get use to your voice....to bad you didn't have another doe or a wether to put her in with....

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on your upcoming kidding.

are the boys wethered or still intact?

4. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    They are in tact. One is 9 months and the other is 6 months. I finally got her in a stall but she is not happy about it!!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i'm not big on stalling till they are showing signs of kidding. But that is just my personal preference

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Yeah, sometimes they get more nervous when they are alone to long before kidding. As for her being timid-you could try getting her to like you more by giving her treats like animal crackers. Our goats will almost tear the fence down for their animal crackers :) . Best of luck for her kidding though. I have my first doe of the year kidding in the next couple days. Her due date is Wednesday.

7. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    How long do I have to leave her in the stall after the blessed event? Will the buck bother the babies? He is kind of ornery and is the head goat. large horns and can be very intimidating.

Susan

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The bucks and the doe can not go together after she kids or they will impregnant her again immediately, which is not good for her.

If she really is panicking in the stall by herself, I would leave her out with them until 1.) she shows that she is in labor OR 2.) you see the bucks trying to "ride" her - as that can hurt her very badly.

Keep a close eye on her, watch her udder. Also if you can post pics, we might be able to help you in how close she is getting - congrats on the coming kids!

9. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I will let her out of the stall in the morning and get some pictures posted

Susan

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you need to have two pens now. Cant have her getting bred right away -- not healthy for her.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....with everyone ... :)

and be careful..those buck are sneaky critters... :wink:

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with the others. If you are home with them all the time and can watch her all the time I think you are somewhat safe, but if you have to leave I would lock her in the stall so just in case she slips a fast one in on you and has the babies.

I have been doing this for 9 years and sometimes they still surprise with kids and I thought we had more time. I would also give her a special treat while she is he in stall so she will associate the stall with a treat and won't fight you on getting in there. It can be some thing as simple as raisins, Cheerios's, bread or anything you have handy. It will make it a lot easier for her. What ever you do do not leave her alone with those bucks unless you are home.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    At work I breed the boer does back 4 weeks after kidding.

It has been my experience that only the very best will manage it - most goats are not capable of cycling directly after kidding - so really the concern that they will breed her back 'immediately' I think is not a huge issue.

What I would probably do is keep the older buck intact (assuming you want him to breed her later down the track), wether the other guy and that way she will have a mate to be penned up with.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with the minis they easily can get bred back with that heat they have aprox 1 week after kidding.

15. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I got a picture of her today but it isn't very good.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beings this is her third kidding I would say that she has a little longer by the size of her utter.

17. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Could you take an educated guess as to how long? I am going to put her in a new pen this weekend and want to know about how long I have to get everything ready. I am sorry for all of the questions but I have never done this before.

Thanks for everyones help

Susan

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    When did it start to grow or has it been like that since you bought her? Because I am doubting her due date being anytime soon. :shrug: But it isnt like I have been wrong before :doh: So she could go on her march 3rd date, I would REALLY be surprised if it was earlier then that

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Lori and Stacey..with this being her third freshening, that udder should be showing sign of filling. Even my mini does that have had their 6th kidding have full tight udders a week befre they deliver.

A good side and front pic of her would show us how "big" she is....and have a better idea of when and how many. :wink:

20. susan

susan New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I have been having computer problems. Finally got it fixed and got the other pictures of my marge. If I need different pictures please let me know. HOpe they help you in making an good guess at her due date

Susan